back to article Microsoft remote code exec killjoys to dump seven fixes next week

Redmond will fix three critical holes in Internet Explorer, Office and Windows next week. Microsoft's Advanced Notification service details a seven-fix monthly dump. Among the three critical bulletins are a problem that leaves Internet Explorer open to remote code execution (RCE) attacks. Patching for bulletin two required a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surprise!

Why is it that when we see the word "exploit" or the phrase "security problems/issues", the article is always about Microsoft?

People need to give themselves a shake and stop using MS products!

1. Ragarath

Re: Surprise!

Because it gets headlines, and clickbait and makes people like you, that believe in sky fairies also believe that it only Microsoft products that have exploits.

1. John Bailey

"Because it gets headlines, and clickbait and makes people like you, that believe in sky fairies also believe that it only Microsoft products that have exploits."

And of course.. it usually only works on Windows.

2. RIBrsiq

[sigh...]

Look here, please:

https://secunia.com/community/advisories/

Notice anything...?

Additionally, to point at recent, spectacular examples:

* Heartbleed.

* "goto fail".

All software is complex and has bugs. But if it makes you feel all tingly and superior to laugh at Microsoft software, go ahead and knock yourself out! I'm glad it takes so little to make you happy.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All software has Security issues

But do they have to make the update process torturous as Windows update ? Come on conditional updates before your next lot of updates, multiple reboots etc etc should now be a thing of the past. I really hope MS do sort this out as it is my least favourite thing about Windows and my favourite thing about Linux. Oh and Kgraft for Windows too ?

1. Tom 13
      Devil

Re: update process torturous as Windows update

I've been running MS software on my home computers for ages. Only time updates were an issue was back when I was being ultra-paranoid about them and insisting I had to authorize them. These days they install in the background and when I shutdown they configure. One reboot is all that is required, and it is part of my normal routine.

Maybe you need to upgrade your wetware?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not built many systems from the ground up have you Tom ? Good luck with only one reboot on a fresh install.

1. Cipher
          FAIL

How many Windows updates have borked systems in the past 2 years? I can recall 3 times they produced borked boxes...

Anyone running autoupdates is asking for trouble...

2. RIBrsiq

Re: All software has Security issues

While true that if one's updating an RTM Windows release that's a couple of years old then the process is long and several reboots are needed, why would anyone do that...?

Look into the wonders of DISM and be amazed!

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Facepalm

Important

Just to be clear, were any of those patches "important"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Important

It depends on their degree of ego....and position in the org chart.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like