back to article Hortonworks falls well short of billion dollar IPO expectations

Open source supremo Hortonworks has announced a rather lacklustre IPO, falling miles short of the billion dollar valuation big data tycoons were hoping for. It hopes to raise $78m by flogging six million shares at a cost of between $12 to $14, which roughly works out to a disappointing market valuation of $659m. Hortonworks …

1. Ian Michael Gumby
    Boffin

Seems more realistic...

Still a little optimistic for a company that doesnt own anything.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Seems more realistic...

Still a little optimistic for a company that doesnt own anything.

In theory, they own expertise - that is, Hortonworks have contractual control over the knowledge and skills of a set of people who have significant intellectual investment in that domain. That's an asset, though it's a rather illiquid and infungible one, and one that can decide to wander off on its own.

I'd be reluctant to invest in them myself, though, if I played that game. I just don't believe Hadoop is that difficult, and I suspect most of their potential market has no compelling use for their product.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Marketing overhype gone crazy

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$659m? For reference, the investment from Intel alone into Cloudera totalled $740m, plus staff + IP, for 18% of the company. Sad times round Hortonworks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like