back to article AWS CloudFront wobbles at worst possible time

Don't start your Black Friday online shopping spree just yet: Amazon Web Services' CloudFront content delivery network has wobbled over the last few hours and the perennially-loss-making retailer, and customers of its cloud computing services, have reportedly been hard to access. Amazon's status page said “We are currently …

1. asdf Silver badge

>this wobble has very poor timing

Funny that happens under heavy load. Or not.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

That's a lie. The American public cloud doesn't have load issues. You use it and all those issues go away. You're a lying liar that is trying to destroy the future of IT!

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Windows

Azure too

Not sure why there's no coverage, but my Azure hosted website was down for an hour yesterday afternoon. MS dashboard said it was limited to parts of the US, but my site hosted in Europe.

1. Tim 11
      Trollface

Re: Azure too

azure going down doesn't count as news ;-)

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Azure too

Because it didn't happen. Azure is the perfect expression of the American Public Cloud. You can move your workloads from your local systems onto Azure and forget about them. They'll run perfectly, forever, with no load issues, never go down, never need backups and be cheaper than running on your own site!

3. Skymonrie

I thought the whole point of services such as AWS was to avoid putting all your eggs in one basket. Then again, the cloud is just "someone else's computer" with more than one pipe to it

American Public Cloud providers don't need redundancy. They simply provide! There are no issues. Ever.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

it's a meta-basket!

I don't mind using cloudfront but I keep my servers elsewhere.

4. Anonymous Blowhard

This confirms my theory

that AWS is a way for Amazon to have excess server capacity paid for by by AWS customers and when Amazon needs the servers for peak load (e.g. Black Friday) they can claw back the resources for themselves (this still gives a service level of 99% to AWS customers if they only do this for three days a year).

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: This confirms my theory

This could be confirmed by looking at the spot prices for the EC2 datacenters?

1. Anonymous Blowhard

@Destroy All monsters

Good idea! I didn't know this was done; I wonder if the spot price is based only on demand vs. availability or other factors e.g. competitor pricing and time of day in major markets?

2. Robert Morgan
        Holmes

I'd not think that holds water to be honest. AWS has been in the making since ~2002/2003 onwards, sure, initially it was a view to helping run Amazon.com, but the ultimate aim was always to make it fully accessible and multi-tenant. They're killing most, and it's near impossible to keep a normal/traditional platform online nearly as much as you can with something in AWS. I think their capacity is well past the running amazon.com stage now, I'd cowardly hazard a guess, that amazon.com (and all the international sites) are < 10% of the compute load on AWS.

1. David Dawson

Last I heard they hadn't moved amazon.com onto AWS.

It was more of a re-use of skills, tech and systems to build a new product area rather than somewhere to put amazon.com onto

Might not be the case now

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Who needs more than 99% uptime? The cloud is the future! You wouldn't be running a website that competes with one of the American Public Cloud providers, would you? That's naughty. You should go out of business.

1. TimR

Trevor - you must remember to take your tablets...

Mushroom

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

But I can't play Kerbal Space Program on a tablet!

5. ZanzibarRastapopulous

Prime

If Prime runs on AWS then it's been wobbling like a weeble for months.

6. James 47

DNS issues

There have been DNS issues with running on AWS for ages now even when all connections are internal to AWS

https://forums.aws.amazon.com/thread.jspa?threadID=161837&tstart=0

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019