back to article A DRONE OF THEIR OWN: GoPro tabbed for cameracopter launch

Action camera company GoPro is reportedly planning to develop and sell its own line of camera-equipped drones. A report from The Wall Street Journal cites sources familiar with the plans in reporting that the company will develop "multirotor helicopters" with built-in HD cameras. According to the report, the company would …

1. DocJames

Badge engineering?

Is it really going to be GoPro making these, or just getting their name on the side of a far Eastern product?

Linked article probably has details but is behind firewall.

1. frank ly
      Happy

Re: Badge engineering?

You mean 'paywall', unless you really were making hacking attempts on the WSJ firewall.

1. DocJames
        Pint

frank ly

Yes, I do. Have an up vote.

Icon needed. It's been a busy week.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GoPro need to do more with their software

I've a couple of GoPro cameras (Hero 3 and 4) and the app software is in dire need for improvement on iOS and Android. They still don't have Windows versions of the control apps. Nothing that a few hundred thousand dollars of dev work couldn't improve dramatically to make the cameras more useful. There are some reverse engineered hobbyist hacks that work to a certain degree but the company could make their products far more appealing by opening up opportunities for developers. Ought to be a far higher priority than getting into the drone business.

1. tomban

Re: GoPro need to do more with their software

I agree. They also need to work on their firmware. I've had a 3 Silver and now have 2 3+ Black editions and they have some interesting bugs like randomly resetting the defaults and sometimes refusing the charge or switch on requiring a battery pull. Sometimes one will get warm when it switched off and drain the battery, very odd. On the silver, it would randomly turn on the WiFi when finishing recording or switching off.

1. handle

Re: GoPro need to do more with their software

Those sound as much like hardware as firmware problems.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

Ahhh, the Wall Street Journal

I remember when they were a decent & reputable paper. Now I'd rather read Daily Mail.

4. handle

Wobblevision

Let's hope they dispense with the rolling shutter in the process.

5. Beornfrith

Given that there are folk out there who refuse to fly with GoPro cameras because of the (apparent) noisy, interference-causing electronics contained within I hope the firm do enough R&D before launching anything. Although I've not has a problem myself (touch wood) there are plenty of people flying with metal-film lined camera cases for fear of being affected...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like