back to article PROFESSORS! PROFESSORS! PROFESSORS!

Former Microsoft CEO will donate around US$60m to Harvard in order to endow a dozen new Professorial appointments in computer science. Ballmer's told The Harvard Crimson his new PROFESSORS! PROFESSORS! PROFESSORS! mantra is inspired by a desire to keep helping Harvard, from which he graduated in 1977. The twelve new …

1. btrower

Thank *God* the Drought is over!

Good to know that the impecunious Harvard is finally getting a break. Oh wait -- give *me* a break!

"Harvard University’s largest-in-the-country endowment saw returns of 15.4 percent in the last year, and now stands at $36.4 billion. That’s a lot of money."

http://www.boston.com/business/news/2014/09/25/harvard-endowment-bigger-than-half-the-world-economies/UAOY9V4lg6fcjArrSyCgWJ/story.html

Maybe it's just me, but this just seems to me to be ever so slightly unfair.

"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." ― Dorothy Parker

1. roger stillick
      Happy

Re: Thank *God* the Drought is over!, Pt.2= MIT.EDU.

Harvard U endowment dollars, YEA !!... however, MIT.EDU has just about everything they have FREE on their website, ALL their Courses...did i mention free ??

Quantum Physics affirms we already use it and did i mention free ??...

my favorite book= 'the Road to Reality' by Roger Penrose (the math behind visualizing / mapping the observable universe in 4 diminsions).

Caveiat= my mentors / handlers encouraged reading non-fiction and scientific stuff, once the classics were read... treating all sciences as SCI-FI until you find out if it works or not is a warm and fuzzy comfortable spare time use...SPIE, here i come...RS.

2. Tim Almond

New Chairs

why, has he been throwing some around?

3. plrndl

He always did like throwing chairs around.

4. jamesb2147

Who knew

You could sound like an arse for giving loads of money away to support education?

More seriously, how much of a problem is it that so much wealth is concentrated at Harvard because of the network opportunities and social prestige? This is sort of the epitome of conspicuous consumption for the donation field. (The true epitome of conspicuous consumption being that Microsoft arch-rival Larry Ellison, who practically owns his own Hawaiian island.)

5. Christian Berger

Back in the 1990s...

Microsoft propagated the idea that you could somehow productively use a computer without being able to program or learn a command line. Now they complain about not getting enough programmers.

Please Microsoft make up your mind.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon