back to article Security products: Best of breed or create your own monster?

IT security is not just about antivirus or firewall products anymore. There is a whole layer cake of different product types designed to protect your organisation in different ways. It is a stack, in much the same way as TCP-IP networking or web server functionality has stacks of functionality. The question is, what's the best …

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

cloud security

cf: oxymoron

2. btrower

Good enough security

Unfortunately, the deeper you drill into the stack from silicon on up you realize that complete security is unfeasible. You are left adopting some sort of 'good enough' security and in many cases people take the off-ramp that says 'plausible deniability'.

It is like that old joke -- two guys are out camping when an angry bear shows up. One guy turns to start running and the other says "Are you crazy? You can't outrun a bear" to which the other replies "I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you."

A strategy that I would favor would be to go with an integrated vendor for part of it to cover the 'plausible deniability' angle, a 'moat' of sorts comprised of various honey-pots and enough home-grown armor to make your system a less attractive target than others.

It really drives me nuts that we *could* have good security but we are fighting uphill against our own governments. That leaves us settling for 'good enough'.

The bad news is that real security is impossible. The good news is that 'good enough' security is not only possible, in some ways it is pretty easy.

1. Looper

Re: Good enough security - the old joke is wrong

because the bear will chase the guy who is running away, and probably stay away from the guy who stands his ground...

3. Anonymous Dutch Coward

Fluffy article?

Not that individual points are invalid or not well made, but this discussion can be held for any kind of stack: web applications, traditional client applications, anything that is part of a process etc.

It's just that I suspect the security solutions are too fragmented/immature that anything but a single vendor/coordinated vendor solution is likely to involve a humongous amount of duck tape/custom programming that may not be worth the investment etc.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like