back to article European astronaut exposes eerie snaps of ISS in Twitter feed

An astronaut has posted a series of eerie images showing the International Space Station after nightfall. Entitled "Spooky Space Station", the creepy shots show the claustrophobia and isolation of life in orbit. They were taken by the German ESA astronaut Alexander Gerst, who is taking part in a six-month mission called Blue …

1. SW10

Do as you darn well pleasey

Fooled me with his East-on-is-the-left view of that great city!

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Alien

In space no-one can hear you scream

Is that green acid blood on the walls?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: In space no-one can hear you scream

As the walls are only teflon with cheap china-sourced aluminium support, you would be looking at SUCKING DECOMPRESSION HORROR.

Also:

"The astronauts of the ISS certainly seem to have Anglophile tendencies, as they stick strictly to GMT, occupying the same time zone as the cockneys."

Didn't build the Honourable East India Company and all that imperial stuff for nothing, then?

1. Tom 35

"As the walls are only teflon with cheap china-sourced aluminium support"

At least you will not stick to the walls.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

As the walls are only teflon with cheap china-sourced aluminium support, you would be looking at SUCKING DECOMPRESSION HORROR.

Erm, teflon is acid-proof. Even fluoroantimonic acid, the mostest acidy acid there is, doesn't dissolve teflon. Teflon is about the only thing fluoroantimonic acid can't dissolve! So, no Goldfinger-in-space.

3. AndrueC Silver badge
    Boffin

The astronauts of the ISS certainly seem to have Anglophile tendencies, as they stick strictly to GMT, occupying the same time zone as the cockneys.

Nice idea but they are probably working in UTC. That was created for situations where timezones made things too complicated (military, computer networks) or irrelevant (orbiting around Earth).

1. BoldMan

UTC = GMT for most practical discussions so what is your point?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Cockneys don't stick to either...

just like the rest of the UK.

1. hplasm
          Paris Hilton

Re: Cockneys don't stick to either...

Teflon or...?

2. AndrueC Silver badge
        Happy

Me? My point? Well from context the article seems to be implying some love of all things British. Now if the astronauts referred to it as GMT there might be some validity to that but I suspect they refer to it as UTC which is a nationality agnostic timezone. When what you're doing has international ramifications it makes sense to pick just one time zone. You could be nationalistic and pick one of the US timezones but generally the world has settled on UTC. It doesn't mean that the whole world loves us :)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Scientist and true technicians are not for "most practical discussions" - try to tell an astronomer GMT = UTC.... or a someone needing to drive a space station or probe... or just a GPS device.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
          Boffin

@LDS

"Scientist and true technicians are not for "most practical discussions" - try to tell an astronomer GMT = UTC.... or a someone needing to drive a space station or probe... or just a GPS device.

What about relativity effects?, are the astronauts in orbit not running 38 microseconds slower than earth?

It all adds up y'know

1. AndrueC Silver badge
            Joke

Re: @LDS

What about relativity effects?, are the astronauts in orbit not running 38 microseconds slower than earth?

Some people will do anything just to live a bit longer.

4. Robin Szemeti

Wut?

My Dear Sir, UTC and GMT can be up to 0.9 seconds apart ... even for some fairly every day things, that can be significant.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

AFAIK submarines too switch to "Zulu" when in mission - underwater and across several time zone there's little need to keep a give time zone.

4. frank ly

I'm wondering

Will the BBC let them access the iPlayer up there?

1. Tom 35

Re: I'm wondering

And what iTunes store can they access.

5. Hero Protagonist

Dangling cables

All those cables dangling about kind of give me the willies. I'd be terrified of accidentally catching one and yanking it out. Although one would hope that the really critical ones are firmly secured.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Dangling cables

Cable ties and duct tape

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Devil

Just keep a wrecking bar ready.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

@DAM I didn't realise that there was room for a bar on the ISS, but Neil Young will be pleased to hear what they call it.

6. JamesPond
    FAIL

Up-side-down

"he posted this upside-down tribute" - surely there is no up or down in space! The generally recognised map of earth with north at the top is a man-man view of the world and presumably only based on where magnetic north currently points.

1. Eddy Ito
      Coat

Re: Up-side-down

We could base it on the rotation of the planet and use the right hand rule which only seems proper as the left hand rule is a bit sinister.

2. hplasm
      Holmes

"...map of earth with north at the top is a man-man view of the world ..."

But if North isn't at the top, the writing is upside-down...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Guess you're not an Eastenders fan then? (Or forced to watch it by your other half.)

As an aside, is it just me that thinks the Isle of Dogs looks like a scrotum being cupped by a hand?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. MyffyW Silver badge

@AC "Is it just me..."

Maybe it's shaped that way to keep the Isle of Dogs cooler than the rest of the East-End?

(adopts doubtful pout)

7. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

ISS science

"conducted experiments into the behaviour of soap bubbles in gravity"

Nice to know that the ISS continues to be at the forefront of advanced astrophysical research.

1. KBeee

Re: ISS science

I can do experiments into the behaviour of soap bubbles in gravity right here - I'd have more trouble doing experiments into the behaviour of soap bubbles in zero gravity..

1. Captain TickTock
        Boffin

"I can do experiments into the behaviour of soap bubbles in gravity right here - I'd have more trouble doing experiments into the behaviour of soap bubbles in zero gravity.."

not strictly zero-gravity. gravity up there is roughly 85% of gravity at the surface. The ISS (and its contents) is perpetually falling towards the Earth but missing. ;-)

It's also useless for most "zero gravity" research anyway because its manned. So full of breathing, footsteps, pumps, vibration etc

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Some "silly" science is always useful to gather the attention of the youngest... like playing golf on the Moon or sending a Playmonaut in spaaaaace!

Except I have big problems finding anything other than "k12 outreach" science from the ISS

8. Telemark
    Happy

Clean your room

What strikes me is how messy the place looks. It reminds me of a garage where all the junk is kept or some kids treehouse made out of bits of old plywood and packing cases complete with stickers and purloined road signs. I would have expected a place for everything and everything in its place. I guess houskeeping is not a big priority on the ISS. :)

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Clean your room

Yes, I think they need some mothers up there. Kids playing with soap bubbles, looked very similar when I had a few at home.

9. cortland

In space

No one can see your THUMB.

10. i like crisps
    Alien

MISSION TO MARS

From your photos i think it would be wise for NASA or whoever plans a manned mission to the 'Red Planet' to have a 'Comedian' on board to keep everyones spirits up during the one way trip to oblivion, as the crew will probably end up doing spacewalks without their helmets, if that's going to be their 24/7 habitat on their one way journey......oh yes, and lots of Valium.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like