back to article Google heads out the back with rifle, puts down POODLE

Google will destroy vicious POODLE in a pending update to its flagship Chrome browser. Update 40 will remove SSLv3 and the hard-to-exploit cookie-stealing Padding Oracle on Downgraded Legacy Encryption (POODLE) attack. Mountain View followed Redmond in its browser POODLE put-down after a single click FixIt SSLv3 disabler was …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So it's been trivially easy to protect desktop browsers (IE/FF) but it's mobile devices which you are most likely to connect to random, possibly malicious net-works.

My win 8.1 phone is vulnerable and I can't find anything regarding a patch being in the pipeline (not that I'd use a mobile device on a public wifi for anything sensitive mind).

The stock android browser on JB 4.1 is vulnerable too and I can't see that being updated in the push to Chrome. I bet a lot of android device users that have the stock browser still use it.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Talking Poodle

There is a lot of misunderstanding concerning this vulnerability, at least among the probably non-representative set of admins I spoke with. Most of the confusion seems to be as to whether this is a client or server issue (it is both). This article has a fairly decent explanation:

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/70719/ssl3-poodle-vulnerability

4. Thomas Chippendale

Cupertino ≠ Mountain View

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like