back to article Cashing it in: Personal finance apps – the best and the rest

Greater individual control over personal finance is booming, with the British Bankers Association (BBA) reporting 5.7 million transactions a day are now made from smartphones. This is transformational stuff, but it’s not all about current account apps. Personal finance guru Jennifer Newton follows the money and finds the best …

1. Gannet

Android mortgage calculator

I've found 'Karl's Mortgage Calculator' to be a great mortgage tool for android. It's free but ad-supported with fairly unobtrusive banner ads. Does have lots of options though.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

if you clock in / out...

...then this is an app well worth having, called Timesheet - Time Tracker

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aadhk.time

3. Wensleydale Cheese
    Happy

WifeSwap - Social Currency

I first glanced at that without my specs and interpreted it as WifeSwap.

In that context the "Social Currency" bit on the card image seems highly appropriate.

Damage done. I will forever see that name as WifeSwap.

Yours

WifE SWAPPER

4. Necronomnomnomicon

Add to the list

MoneyDashboard - - I've been using it for a few months now (got cashback through Quidco to sign up for it!) - centralises all your accounts in one place and gives you pretty graphs about your actual financial state. As someone who obsessively spreadsheets my incomings and outgoings it's nice to have something that does that stuff nicely.

1. Dr. Mouse Silver badge

Re: Add to the list

Just had a look at that. It seems like exactly what I want, except for one thing: You have to provide your online banking login details to it!

Sorry, but whatever they say about security bla bla bla, that's not happening. Nobody gets access to any of my login details for anything. Not only that, but handing my details over to them would give the bank a get-out on any fraud. It's a breach of T&Cs.

To be honest, I have thought for a long time that banks need to get a standardised reporting interface together. I believe they have one in Germany, and it can even be used to make bill payments etc.

5. buddypepper

Missed some...

Mint.com and their free app...

1. Philanthropic Philanderer

Re: Missed some...

.. also connects to your bank account(s), so the same problem with T&C I imagine.

Shame that Loan Calculator – What If is iOS only. It looked the best out of the lot to me.

Shame MSE doesn't do mobile apps for their website tools:

Minimum Repayments: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/minimum-repayments-credit-card#calc

Loan Calculator: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/cheap-personal-loans#calc

6. Terry Cloth

How about a cash replacement?

It's always seemed odd, in this capitalist, dog-eat-dog arena of business competition, that all the prepaid cards insist on ridiculous fees. Why doesn't someone see the opportunity to simply live on the float from the time the company gets the cash to the time the cardowner spends it? All I want is to buy my morning coffee without everyone from my card company to my government (and probably everyone else's, too) knowing about it.

I wonder how long it'll be before retail stores quit accepting cash, and everyone knows about every pence you spend?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020