"Worried about what you see on Twitter? Turn off the computer and do something else. Problem solved"
Twitter has admitted to fiddling with users' timelines, sparking the sort of social media backlash which is fast becoming a wearying fixture of modern life. The chirpy chaps of Twitter claimed the "spirit of experimentation" made them decide to wodge unwanted tweets in users' feeds. Seeing stuff from people you don't follow …
Friday 17th October 2014 14:45 GMT Anonymous Custard
Friday 17th October 2014 15:18 GMT IHateWearingATie
I don't pay anything for twitter...
... so I am the product.
I just can't get worked up about stuff like this - they need to make money to keep the servers running and I don't want to pay. It it gets too annoying I'll leave and probably do something more useful that read live tweets from Formula 1 races (which is all I use Twitter for really).
Friday 17th October 2014 15:49 GMT Andy Non
Friday 17th October 2014 16:03 GMT swschrad
Get rid of the nonsense
how about that ad for General Genocide? click their icon, look for the gearwheel, click it, and select BLOCK OR REPORT. in the past, I have been clicking BLOCK. I am now also going to click REPORT, and join me in flooding the twits who are censoring the reported users until they stop this fulminating foolishness.
Friday 17th October 2014 16:52 GMT chivo243
Friday 17th October 2014 17:10 GMT Ian Michael Gumby
They have no choice...
Twitter is a publicly traded company with a 30Bil USD market cap.
They have no choice but to do things to increase their revenues.
So sticking in placed ads in to your timeline makes perfect sense.
You of course can decide to leave twitter and of course short the stock.
Friday 17th October 2014 17:12 GMT JDX
I'm always getting emails "do you follow X" or "do you know Y" from them. I'd much rather see this in Twitter itself because then I'd only be bothered by it when I was using Twitter, which is not very often at all.
I think they have a point, that these days Twitter is how many people would find out about people they'd want to follow on Twitter. Well, by "many people" I mean "many Twitter users".
Friday 17th October 2014 18:09 GMT Anonymous Coward
But isn't the entirety of www-land just rubbish anyway?
"But the terse folk of social media are furious that their constant stream of rubbish has been sullied with yet more rubbish."
But couldn't you say this about 90% of the www-net? Certainly reddit, youtube, slashdork, HuffPo, etc etc etc... All the news sites. It's all just rubbish. Rubbish and shopping. And the other 10% is probably just pR0n.
Anything really useful is probably happening on a mailing list like the kernel mailing list, or on a developer IRC channel, or simply through email from one intelligent individual to another.