back to article Symantec backs out of Backup Exec: Plans to can appliance in Jan

Symantec is exiting the Backup Exec appliance market as it strengthens its NetBackup appliance. Backup Exec 3600 Backup Exec 3600 appliance with up to 5.5TB of usable capacity Backup Exec has had a challenging recent history. Backup Exec 2012 caused controversy with its changes, and Symantec admitted it had stubbed its toe …

1. Keith Langmead

Getting my hopes up!

Damn it Reg for getting my hopes up, I thought we might finally see the end of that POS app which hasn't been the same since it stopped being Veritas, and Symantec absorbed it into the borg.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

Re: Getting my hopes up!

Everybody agrees that it's a shitty app, there's no question. When BE works it's fine. It just breaks every now and then, and the Liveupdate component is a fucking joke.

The real question is: what would be a good replacement with support for Exchange, different SQLs, VMs and so forth?

1. M. B.

Re: Getting my hopes up!

Yeah, BE worked for us for many years though a few upgrades until things just randomly stopped working, then they never, ever wanted to work again. Having NDMP break when all 15TB of your files are stored on a NetApp is hugely frustrating - went from 4GB/s down to 400MB/s by having the backup server mount the shares as network drives :-/ Symantec could never get it working properly again.

I went through 3 versions of BE (12.0, 12.5, 2010) where Exchange GRT kept breaking. It would work, and then not. They would tell me it's my Exchange server. I would upgrade to the newest version of BE, and it would work again on the same Exchange server. Then suddenly it would break again, and it was the Exchange servers fault. \

I had to buy NetWorker since Veeam couldn't do a thing for my physical servers (Win/Solaris/RHEL) or my filers or my Oracle DBs and I couldn't afford the price tag CommVault was quoting me. Same filer, same Exchange server, still running fine long after I left. Gross interface though, good Lord.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unitrends is offering free appliance trade-up to BE3600 customers

Unitrends believes Symantec BE 3600 customers made the right choice to switch to a purpose-built backup appliance (PBBA), and they shouldn’t have to go back to buying, integrating and managing separate server hardware and data protection software. As such, Unitrends just announced an aggressive replacement program that enables BE 3600 customers to trade up to select Unitrends Recovery-Series PBBAs for only the cost of support. Visit http://go.unitrends.com/symantec-discontinue-BE3600 to trade up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like