back to article Vertigan hands Turnbull a knife, Turnbull carves Vertigan report

It would be hard to find a more doctrinaire document than the final Vertigan panel's Markets and Regulatory Report that was handed down yesterday. The panel has managed to produce a report so far off realpolitik that the government had no choice but to damp it down immediately. The document takes to heart Tony Abbott's …

1. poopypants

I take heart

in the fact that the government didn't even have to pause before kicking the report under the rug.

I am confident that even with the current government we will end up with a national broadband network that is vastly superior to the one we have now. Not as good as it could have been, but still good enough to stream 4K movies and games.

2. baguar

Turnbull is always very entertaining in interviews, I'll give him that. Makes a refreshing change from most of the other pollies. I get the impression that Chris Uhlmann gets very close to laughter during most of his interviews. The PM we should have had...

I've no idea about the details contained in this report but it seems to be a complete and utter waste of taxpayers money, much like most of these 'panels'. The government is going to do what it's going to do and these 'reports' just seem to provide a (varying) degree of justification. Or they get completely ignored.

1. Francis Vaughan

Same old same old

"these 'reports' just seem to provide a (varying) degree of justification. Or they get completely ignored."

Which has been the case from the beginning of time. This report seems to have been an exercise is political lowballing. It provides such an insane and incompetent commentary that no matter what you do, it looks better than what the report recommended. The opposite would have been much harder to cope with politically.

I can just imagine a Yes Minister episode based around this - where Sir Humphrey recommends a couple of barking mad panel members to ensure that the report is so extreme that Jim Hacker cannot do anything but look good by ignoring it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon