back to article FBI opens Malware Investigator portal to industry

The Federal Bureau of Investigations has released a formerly in-house malware-analysing portal to help speed up incident responses and help industry and law enforcement with investigations. The G-men hope the Malware Investigator portal can let businesses build responses to new malware without such heavy reverse-engineering …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: state-sponsored malware

True, but I do like the concept. There is a vast gap between law enforcement and industry in capability to spot malware (my recent review of a UK police investigation has not exactly impressed me with their skills either) so I'm all for a better collaboration. It's hard to get security right, so anything that helps flag up malware early is good IMHO.

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: state-sponsored malware

Sure it would.

Just as the DoD was kind enough to detect stuxnet infections within its own network quickly.

Yes, I'm serious.

That aside, why not? The US DoD and US DHS both do the same, for approved vendors.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1. Receive suspected malware sample

2. Check if it's NSA/FBI malware and report clean if matched

3. If not NSA/FBI malware, copy the code so it can be integrated into future NSA/FBI malware

The government saves development money

1. Captain DaFt

You forgot one:

If the non state sponsored malware uses algorithms similar to those developed by NSA/CIA/FBI/Military, accuse creators of terrorism, espionage, DRM abuse, copyright infringement, and wanton incontinence.

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Nah, you forget, different agencies in the US government don't talk to each other about their activities.

Hell, the DoD had a rather protracted battle against stuxnet infections a few years back. Malware developed by part of the DoD.

Besides, any participating partner would be unintended side-catch, hence be swamping the data mine a bit too much.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That can't be right... What about Chuck and The Intersect? I seem to remember NSA and CIA working closely for about 4 and half years on that programme.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like