back to article One-time direct sales giant Dell weds world's largest tech distie... in the UK

Privately owned Dell has finally tipped its cap in the direction of broadline distribution by hauling in Ingram Micro to carry its entire line card across Blighty. It is six-and-a-half years since Michael Dell reclaimed the CEO’s office and decided he actually needed the "middlemen", those he’d dismissed for decades, to help …

1. Pab80

One of Dell's stand out features was that you could buy direct, cut out the middle man and get machines customised to your wishes. This selling through the channel add's another layer of sales/distribution overhead and reduced flexibility.

I'm a Dell channel partner and used to really like Dell's operating model, however over the last year or so, you could see Dell changing their business model and now they are no different to any other box shifter on the market.

Dell will be losing more of my money unfortunately. They should be focussing more on the direct to market route in my opinion...

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Sure, but for most people, the bog standard corporate desktop model will meet their needs perfectly, and if Dell can churn out millions of the same model, it makes it cheaper.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Web servers

Perhaps IM can get some better servers now to sort their creaking website.

AC - don't have to like them but do need them

3. The Godfather
    Happy

In sickness and in health...

Why do I think this route and change of tack may not be permanent?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like