back to article Oi, you don't work here, Mr Anything But incisive – get your grubby mitts off ou rreaders

This has been a glorious week in the sacred history* of this column: we caught a rival's reporter trying to use The Register's own comments sections to find a story. Enter stage right Jack Gilbert, a reporter with a website which we're not going to tell you the name of (why? Screw giving them free advertising, that's why) – …

1. Steven Raith

Hmm

"..not counting the one who keeps trying to link to her blog full of highly explicit naked selfies and writings"

Email to the usual address, please.

Er, I mean, down with that sort of thing. (careful now)

Steven R

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

whyboner.jpg

Dont you mean up?

Also, where in that regtastic moderation lair control uberscreen is the button that shifts a comment to the "comment of the week" trash compactor??

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: whyboner.jpg

It's all done at top secret level so we can't discuss it further. You didn't think we'd reveal ALL the secrets of the Great Register Machine of Tardmangling in one screencap, did you?

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Steven Rairh Re: Hmm

"Email to the usual address, please....." I warn you, it's not pretty, not unless you're into middle-aged sado-masochism. Psychology students might find it interesting. Let's just say her tag line is probably true, but you won't want to see any other astrophysicists naked after.

1. Denarius
        Happy

Re: Steven Rairh Hmm

Matt, thank you for small mercies. Sometimes a little info is too much info. Bit like the esteemed Alistair this week I can do without some items of esoteric knowledge. He was unusually waffly this week. Perhaps his wifes' research was more unsettling than usual ? A full beer and upvote for Evil Graham. Spluttered coffee over lunch.

On a serious note (really) I wonder how many reader tech surveys are disguised hunts for targeted advertising.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"On a serious note (really) I wonder how many reader tech surveys are disguised hunts for targeted advertising."

Bzzzzzzzzzzzt - All of them!

2. Steven Raith

"I warn you, it's not pretty, not unless you're into middle-aged sado-masochism"

I've been perusing Encyopaedia Dramatica most of this week. MIddle aged sadomasochism would be a breath of fresh air compared to that.

Then again, the ED cruising might explain why I've been so agressive in the comments of late...

Steven "Don't go there unless you have a strong stomach and good sense of lulzy humour" Raith.

2. Trainee grumpy old ****
    Pint

"Friday afternoon desk beer"

Work-life balance etc: don't take your work to the pub!

3. channel extended

AC

This is why I post everything as Anonymous Coward

No... Wait.... Ah drat!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pre-moderation

Do "Anonymous Cowards" also get pre-moderated no matter how often they contribute comments? It's not the pre-moderation per se that bothers me - just that it can delay a posting appearing for several hours. By that time you can appear to be doing a "me too" when a whole bunch of similar comments appear before it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pre-moderation

I posted a reply but double-checked answer when I realised that all of your comments have been pre-modded.

We auto-mod posters who have had five non-anonymous comments accepted. Thereafter, posters can make as many anon comments and avoid pre-modding.

However, I think this is an oversight on our part - it certainly wasn't the intended policy. We will change this - but there is a long to do list.

In the meantime, perhaps you could make four more comments using your handle - and then revert to anonymity.

5. frank ly

a quick Google tells us exactly who you are

Jack Gilbert has a neat and tidy beard that matches his eyebrows and his hair (just like mine does). As such, I have a lot of admiration for him and I think that you should cut him some slack.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: a quick Google tells us exactly who you are

I see what you did then Jack.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pearler?

A pearler is an unexpected accident involving usually serious damage to the person who has had one.

"I had right pearler this morning, I ran for the bus ( routemaster), it was going, I missed it and ripped the knee out of my suit trousers", (My dad).

"He came a proper pearler when his sleeve got caught in the lathe and the emergency stop wasn`t quick enough, not good, hospital job".

Something mild? No.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon