back to article Toshiba makes play to replace NFC with own speedy short range tech

Toshiba is poised to introduce its TransferJet short-distance radio technology which will let consumers transfer content between touching smart devices “in the blink of an eye.” Tosh's Euro subsidiary, Toshiba Electronics Europe (TEE), will launch a family of TransferJet USB and microUSB adaptors for mobile phones, tablets, …

1. ratfox

Good luck

If we can believe the rumor mill, Apple is joining the NFC camp, after holding out for years. Getting a new system accepted widely is likely to be super extra hard.

1. Kunari

Re: Good luck

Who's to say Apple hasn't made their own tech or will go with Toshiba's?

Secondly, I don't now if I really want such fast transfers by just bumping phones.

2. larokus

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong half of the glass here

So I simply plug this dongle in to my smartphone, to touch and hold against another device while transferring whatever at the reported 560mbit/s, whenever it will be that devices adopt the standard. Since I currently have to plug this dongle in, why is it that I'm not just using a USB OTG adapter??? 480mbit/s with the aging usb 2.0 and works with virtually everything. granted a second cable is needed but if you are carrying dongles around, you likely are carrying a bag with enough storage for two usb cables. I have fully adopted NFC initiated bluetooth devices, and I already dislike the 4-8 seconds I need to hold the devices together to get a pair. This transferjet requires contact throughout the entire transfer. Cables also require contact, and usb 3.0 hits a staggering 10-20 gbit/s. Not to mention I'd rather plug two devices in and free up my hands, then continually holding devices together while transferring, selecting files, hold, select files, hold and transfer, hold, hold, hold, followed by a "woops I moved them apart let's do that one again".. etc..

Usb otg for me, u c

While I understand the mission is to have the tech embedded, my transfer process logic still stands. That being said, yes Toshiba, you can certainly put it in my next smartphone, it's just not going to be a factor in my smartphone selection process.

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

This is the worst case of "not invented here" I've seen outside of IBM and Kodak.

4. Vector

Buying from a Kiosk

"They think the answer is consumers paying for content at things like sports stadiums and pop concerts."

Then they're dumb. Have they stood in a concession line (or the line for the restroom) at one of these events? Just what everyone wants to do, queue up in yet another line. It's particularly idiotic if you consider all the longer range solutions available for that market. Why would I buy the thing over a wireless link on my phone and then go stand in line to collect it? Wouldn't some sort of local wifi access point be a bit more efficient?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Buying from a Kiosk

It seems retail's mission in life is to MAKE us stand in lines. (think of all the ways they could make it faster. instead, they keep making the buying process more and more complicated and inconvenient)

Keeps us properly cowed, I guess. After all, we owe them a living, right?

As for this new tech? Love it. About time wireless data transfer for the masses took another step forward.

1. Vector

Re: Buying from a Kiosk

Oh, I like the tech. I just think the scenario posited is dumb. If that's all they can come up with to market this thing, then the poor tech is doomed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like