back to article Today's weather is brought to you by our sponsors

The most popular site on the dot-gov-au domain, the Bureau of Meteorology, has been okayed to start taking advertising – with some restrictions. Australia's Senate has passed legislation formalising the decision, so long as the bureau doesn't take political advertisements, nor ads for gambling, alcohol, or - ahem - adult …

1. Denarius
    FAIL

they are there

Seen the adds for months triggering additional browser hangs due to Big Swamps locally overloaded 3G towers causing site timeouts due to slow links to ad sites. BOM itself worked adequately. One more d*d thing to make it harder to find information. IMHO, a symptom of the pending collapse of decent public services due to the importing of Tea Party poison among the servile political parties that make up the excuse for a brown nosing government.Oz has been betrayed by for the last 40 years.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

Suggestion for ads

Could we expect ads for flatulence relief products during the windy season?

3. Andrew Commons

Yes, they are there

And already serving malware...the anti-malware software I use started warning me it had blocked content shortly after the ads first appeared.

Maybe our Senate should read the US Senate 14 May 2014 report "Online Advertising and Hidden Hazards to Consumer Security and Data Privacy"

4. marky_boi
    Facepalm

what ads?

I have adblocker plus and have not noticed any ads,, am I missing something ????

5. Wombling_Free

Thanks Tony

For another huge steaming turd laid on the land once called 'fair'.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like