back to article Samsung bags second Internet of Home Stuff home firm in a week

Samsung has announced its second smart home slurp in a week with the acquisition of heating, ventilation and air conditioning distributor Quietside. Samsung Electronics America said that it had agreed to buy the firm, which already distributes Sammy products, but didn’t disclose the terms of the deal. The company said that …

1. Chris G
    Trollface

I don't really get it

Possibly becase I am an old fart. But I see the IoT as a solution for a non existent problem; what's it for? a

Are we going to see all our appliances connected to the cloud so that we can choose a cloud based program to smartly run our homes and because they are connected our washing machine will mechanically tweet ' my owner uses New Daz in my detergent drawer' then all the other washing machines in it's social network will stop working until their owners use the same.

The whole thing sounds like Bollocks to me. Just another way to get more data from us to sell and use to stuff more useless advertising in our faces, well except me! the first thing I will do with any connected ' thing' I buy is disconnect the sod.

Signed; A Luddite

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't really get it

just be thankful they're not trying to put windows on it.

1. Fungus Bob
        Trollface

Re: just be thankful they're not trying to put windows on it.

Too late. My washing machine has a window built in to the door (its a front loader) and many refrigerators now have clear fronts on the veggie crispers, so those count as windows too.

Now if you were talking about Windows...

2. Don Jefe

What?

'Because air conditioning products are a necessity in all buildings'...

What the fuck? What a stupid thing for someone to say. All buildings require a door/entryway, everything else is optional. Air conditioning is required about as much as the snow making machines on my lawn that let me confuse migratory birds, and passing aircraft, in the summer.

Air conditioning is nice, I guess, but far too many people are just a bunch of pantywaists who sweat if it's above 28C. How is it even possible for people who aren't moving to sweat when it's 28 degrees? Instead of 'smart' HVAC, how about some 'smart people'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What?

A roof is optional?

If you live in the UK, I can see where you consider AC optional. It is not in much of the US. You can argue "people got along fine 100 years ago when there was no AC" but almost no one lived in areas that are no well settled solely due to the availability of AC. And us modern people (yes, even you) are spoiled prima donnas compared to the folks 100 years ago.

1. Don Jefe

Some sports stadiums are buildings with no roofs. Sure, in most places a roof would probably be required for a building to be considered a house but, in fairness, the author of the article spun the 'house' angle. The acquisition, and the quote, was about buildings in general, not houses.

Our ancestors were most certainly a more robust people. I'm quite certain my great grandmother (who would be about 3,400 yeasts old next weekend) could have outperformed me in nearly any physical feat, even when I was in my prime. It took all three (then) living generations of the men from my family to get her down and a Babalorixa from Uruguay to get her organs far enough away from each other to prevent resurrection and get the squirrels in her yard to stop screaming. You just don't see that kind of thing so much these days.

2. wdmot

What do intelligence and sweating have to do with each other?

3. martinusher Silver badge

HVAC is one of the few places where IoT makes sense

A larger HVAC system will have several zones, areas which under the control of their own thermostat. In addition the actual furnace / air conditioning unit may have multiple modes of operation depending on how its going to be used and what kind of system it is. Currently this is all hooked up with wires and a simplistic PLC called a 'zone computer' but the technology's ripe for improvement because the technology's so fragmented.

All this might be a mystery to English readers who have a boiler, radiators and a single thermostat at home. But its really all about energy management (which in England typically means 'open a window' but isn't practical in many parts of the US).

My beef with the IoT crew is that there's a whole lot of wheel reinvention going on. Industrial systems are all interconnected, the technology's all there, it just needs adapting for the consumer market.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like