back to article Lenovo posts an INCREASE in desktop PC and notebook sales

Lenovo, the world’s largest maker of PCs, saw its profits leap 24 per cent this spring. The China-based manufacturer reported first-quarter profits of $211m, compared to $170m for the year before. That was from revenue that jumped 18 per cent to £10.39bn. Earnings per share for the giant were up, from $1.65 to $2.03 for the …

1. vmistery

Of course they are seeing a sales and profit rise. They are doing 2 things, firstly operating on wafer thin margins to undercut rivals such as Dell and HP. Secondly they are giving the customer what they want, a no frills product that is the right price.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

I wonder if they can work their magic on the xSeries? Under IBM the concept was fine, the execution plain-awful. I swore (literally) that I would never buy an IBM xSeries server again.

2. Peter Storm

This is true. A couple of weeks ago I had to buy in another new PC for our company. Usually I go for HP workstations but everything that didn't come with the Windows 8 abomination was hugely over specced (and priced). Had a choice with Lenovos with Win 7 pro loaded. Seems like a good solid PC too.

1. Phoenix50

You comment on an article about PC shipments but still have time to get in a pointless dig at Windows 8.

Someone's having a productive day aren't they.

1. KjetilS

It's not pointless if it's an actual factor in why they sell more computers than most others.

1. Vince

I don't think it's Windows 7. We've bought ~80 odd and they've ALL been running Windows 8. Because there is no good reason not to use 8.

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
              FAIL

"Because there is no good reason not to use 8."

Except for the user interface. And software compatibility issues.

2. JeffyPoooh
              Pint

"...there is no good reason not to use 8."

There's a point where such willful blindless is actually effectively deceptive and counterproductive. You're there.

Here are some examples of a fully truthful and precisely accurate statements, just so you'll learn the differrence.

There is no good reason why Microsoft cannot include an alternate Win 7 like GUI that would be a selectable option. That $5 aftermarket Start Menu fix should be bundled and supported by Microsoft.

There is no good reason why Microsoft should take it upon themselves to forcibly bundle a sub-optimal childlike tiled GUI, ideal for 5 year old little girls drawing happy faces for daddy, with other valuable and necessary OS improvements.

There is no good reason why Microsoft should literally withdraw Win 7 FPP (Retail) from the marketplace to force people to change.

They have made bad, stupid, decisions for seemingly GUI-religious reasons.

"Convert or die" is simply pure evil. There are vastly more evil examples in the world, but Microsoft are still clearly in the wrong.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would be even better

If they operated in a fully free market, or however you define success myth criteria. When I bought my Lenovo, it was available for £100 less in Germany and Austria because it was not sold with windows. Here I was told that it was not possible to buy it without windows. So the UK is still a stronghold of that intelligence-abusing "naked PC" nonsense that MS was trying on some years ago, and it seems is trying to revive. Makes you wonder what Lenovo could achieve without the millstone that MS has become.

1. John Gamble

Re: Would be even better

"...not sold with windows."

Well, that raises a question: how easily do BSD or Linux systems install on Lenovo machines? Searching the web tends to get me disorganized lists with little useful information.

1. Roger Greenwood

Linux runs fine on my Z570, but support for different graphics cards may be patchy. (Got such a good deal at the time I didn't care that the windows tax was applied)

2. h4rm0ny

>>"how easily do BSD or Linux systems install on Lenovo machines? Searching the web tends to get me disorganized lists with little useful information."

About the same as on any other mainstream x86 system. I.e. generally pretty well. (Not sure about BSD as I don't use it, but any modern GNU/Linux distro should be fine).

The problem with searching online for this stuff is that you naturally end up with page after page of all the problems people have because all the people who are just fine with it aren't posting about how fine it is.

Not sure what most GNU/Linux DE's are like with touchscreens, as a caveat. Lenovo sells laptops with these and I've never used KDE or GNOME on a touchscreen device. May well be fine - just thought I'd better qualify my answer.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

how easily do BSD or Linux systems install on Lenovo machines?

Very easily, that's why I wanted a Lenovo.

2. Phoenix50

And what pray, would grandma do with a brand new PC, and accompanying blank hard drive when she switches it on?

Get real.

1. h4rm0ny

>>And what pray, would grandma do with a brand new PC, and accompanying blank hard drive when she switches it on? Get real.

And supposing it wasn't "grandma" but someone who wanted to put Ubuntu on there? You don't get to pick whoever you want as the representative person just to make a request look bad. If you'd made an argument about managing extra supply lines you might have had a comment. But just trying to make out that there aren't plenty of people who want a blank machine or don't know what to do with one is silly.

People shouldn't be forced to buy things they don't want to get the things they actually do.

2. Longtemps, je me suis couche de bonne heure

Get real? Perhaps you meant "Get a chromebook"...

...says someone with recent experience of trying to help a friend with a Windows 8.1 PC whose wireless printer prints effortlessly from his wife's Apple Mac but refuses to even display the printer in the TIFKAM email client he was trained to use by the shop that sold him the PC. Twice re-installed the printer driver, same result. But having sampled MS forums about people with very similar problems being given more and more sweeping remedies that fail to work but would leave the PC in a worse state than before, I was not brave enough even to go back to the previous restore point...

But if you are a Microsoft employee posting, as I suspect you may be, please disregard this, and I apologise for my discourtesy.

3. Efros

lenovo replacement

A few months ago it became clear that my 5 year old lenovo Y550 was ready for retasking and that a replacement was in order. I could not get a lenovo even close to the spec and price I got from HP (quad core, SSD boot, secondary HDD). I was very disappointed as I like lenovo but $200 difference for the same spec means I went with the HP.

4. djstardust

Wow

I had been looking for a new laptop for a while. Found a Lenovo on their site, super spec and a good price. Also has a 3 year on site warranty for £46. Looking forward to getting it. Just a shame it can't be supplied with Win 7 though...

5. h4rm0ny

I would love to buy one of Lenovo's high-end laptops. But I just can't justify that amount of cash. Of course they sell lower-spec ones, but I can't bring myself to buy one of those either.

I go to the site. I click on a base laptop. I go through the configuration tool and add things I want. Price is now too high. I go round again and try to find things to remove. Can't - I want everything.

1. CADmonkey

You're holding it wrong...

1. Spec it out at Lenovo.com

2. Find it at a much better price online for any number of 'laptop outlet' type places

3. Win!

Did this 5 years ago with a Thinkpad W700. Prebuilt, rather than custom, so with me in a matter of days.

Wish I could replace it...8gb 17" 1920x1200 RAID 1, hardware colour calibrator that I've never needed but Hey!...and a Wacom Pad & Pen, active anti-shock HDDs, and a 170W PSU that weighs about a kilo.

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Lenovo laptops

Buy used.

I've done so several times in the past month or so.

Win 7 Pro, i5, discrete Nvidia graphics, $250 price class.

Have to be willing to take some risks, and use your IT skills to deal with issues. It's worked out fantastic for us. Kids use one for Steam gaming, they're happy.

3. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Lenovo laptops

I've bought three ThinkPads in the past month, and now eyeing a 4th. Some for the kids, a couple for me. All came with Win 7 Pro, acceptably snappy i5 processors, discrete Nvidia graphics, loaded with features. eBay, used, great cosmetic condition. $250 price class each.

One has to be willing to accept some risk, work an hour to scrub them clean, possibly repair any minor issues, update the software (a GB of updates) and hunt down drivers. Likely buy a replacement battery pack or two. Might get SSDs for some of them.

Required being brave enough to click Buy, having faith in people's honesty, some luck, and some trivial IT skill.

Overall, happiness with these purchases is about 15+ out of 10. Seriously.

I've also been stocking up on Win 7 desktops too, four or five of those this summer. Same sort of deals. Mostly good results, with a few glitches along the way.

4. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Lenovo laptops

Buy used.

I've done so three times in the last month. Thinkpads, Win 7 Pro, i5, Nvidia discrete graphics, $250-ish. Successful.

6. Johan Bastiaansen
    Thumb Up

Imo Lenovo is a successful company because their top managers concentrate on doing their job instead of egotrippin' all over the interwebs.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Not always cheaper, better made

I own a bit of Lenovo kit, I havent ever bought a whole system from them though, what attracts me is the QUALITY.

The Lenovo keyboards and mice I have are the BEST I have ever had the pleasure of using - regardless of price, my only gripe is the "Caps Lock" key being a tad too close to the "A".

Even my baby daughter has failed to kill my keyboard, despite walking all over it (and a bit of stomping).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't think there is a real slowdown in demand for PCs.

The real reason no one is buying is they all come pre-installed with the Windows 8 crap.

Go into pc world / john lewis etc and you have row after row of unbuyable rubbish. And yes, even with 8.1 update-whatever, it's still rubbish.

All the pros I know have switched to macbooks and run Win 7 via vmware or parallels. And after using a macbook's touch pad, there's no need for any touch screen crap.

9. ecofeco Silver badge
    Holmes

Hype, it's what's for dinner

I've seen the PC market (and the entire computing industry) go through boom/bust cycles for almost 4 decades, so when I hear "death of" I have to laugh.

Next thing you know we'll all be surprised, again, at the next real estate/stock market crash.

OOHS NOOS!!

10. wdmot

I would add to the continued laptop sales numbers but I can't find a good laptop...

I love my old IBM Thinkpad t60 but I'd like to get something a bit more powerful while retaining its usability. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a new laptop that has a similar touchpad & trackpoint (joystick/pointer thingy). All the new models -- from all manufacturers it seems -- have a "precision touchpad" (PTP), which IMO is a Bad Thing: one of the idiotic requirements for MS to certify PTP for Windows 8 (and of course all manufacturers are building for Windows 8 even if we don't want it) is that the touchpad *cannot* have separate buttons -- the whole touchpad is a button, and right-click is determined by a click while your finger is in the correct region, or a two-finger tap. I think there is a workaround to get a middle-click. I hate that. I want individual left, middle, right buttons. And although separate buttons are allowed for a trackpoint device (which can be on the same computer of course), Lenovo isn't providing them based on all the pictures on their website. I don't know how you'd press buttons while using the trackpoint if there aren't any buttons...

Plus, their keyboard quality and usability has really gone downhill. I like the keyboard on my t60 but not the one on my wife's newish Y580. It looks like all their keyboards are that way now -- and other manufacturers as well (HP and Dell, certainly).

Add to that the sad state of affairs regarding screen sizes and resolutions, again across manufacturers. My laptop's primary purpose is not watching movies; I need something with more vertical real estate. Looks like I'll have to go with more expensive quad HD just to get something more than 1080 vertical pixels, and I'm not sure I can find that in 17 inches. Why don't they make laptops with 2400x1600 displays? I've seen enough requests for something like that on various forums; seems there's a fair demand for them.

Anyone else feel the same way? Or am I just a whiner? ;-)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thinkpads

Am I the only person who has had issues with Lenovo kit?

In a previous life I had 2 Thinkpads die with fan issues, a hard drive issue and when that was replaced, an occassional BSoD.

They were good machines in the IBM days, but there is a reason why Lenovo can undercut their rivals....

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like