back to article NICTA man explains why he volunteers for CSIRO's ICT in Schools

Last week, Vulture South launched a campaign in support of the CSIRO's ICT in Schools program, an effort to get IT pros sharing their experience with kids in schools around Australia. CSIRO tells us our campaign is working: quite a few signed up in the week since we published our first story, but we're still short of our …

1. Charles Manning

Getting a letter

... that's the best bit. Somehow getting real letters is better than an email.

I helped out a local school teaching robotics half a day a week for a few months. It was great watching the kids figuring stuff out and learning.

There are clearly some that have a natural affinity for exploring and experimenting and then some who will grow up thinking that using LOL or #tags makes them "tech savvy".

It was certainly rewarding to work with kids who are keen. I recommend the experience thoroughly even if you have to do it on your own time like I did.

2. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge

Age Range

I've signed up (thought haven't heard back yet), and my greatest obstacle was actually deciding on a preferred age range. With no kids of my own, I had to look up what "upper primary" or "lower secondary" even mean!

Once I knew, I couldn't decide: the younger ones have the sense of curiosity and wonder, but might not be old enough to grok it. The older ones can grok but are too hormonal and cynical. ;-)

Ah well, speaking of cynical, in this day and age, I'll probably be refused the working with kids cert, because a middle-aged child-less guy just *has* to be a pedophile, amirite?

Wait, can I use Simon Sharwood as a reference? ;-)

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Age Range

Good on you MH! Do let us know about your adventures.

S.

3. dan1980

"A chance to watch kids grow because of the knowledge you possess and a chance to help teachers to improve their lot."

If I wanted to watch kids grow I'd have one myself and if I wanted to improve the lot of teachers I wouldn't have been such a jerk to my parents when I was younger (they are teachers).

But no, this is a good thing. Mentoring my staff is the best part of my job and I often try to teach people even when they don't really want to learn (just ask my partner). Unfortunately, there is simply no way to get even a half day a week free!

I'd certainly want the kids at my old school getting a better IT education than I did in years 7-8! Actually, screw them - they'll be the ones trying to take my job in 10-15 years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like