back to article Veeam's vigorous voyage vindicates virty servers' backup virtues

Ve have vays of making vast sums of loot! That's virtual server backup and data protection upstart Veeam for you, reporting 30 per cent revenue growth in the first half of 2014, and a customer count passing 111,500. The firm said the second quarter of fiscal year 2014 was the 26th one in a row with double-digit growth on a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Reg

How about doing a product comparison of Veeam and its competitors, outline features, costs.. perhaps make a monthly of product comparisons would, start with Virtual Backup, Management Systems, MDM systems etc. I'd even volunteer too help :)

2. Nate Amsden

why

didn't vmware buy veam instead of companies like that mobile device management, and that zimbra collaboration (I think they owned that at some point) among other non core tech. Veam seems to have been doing well for a long time and it's not as if vmware is short on cash.

1. K

Re: why

It could have been a shrewd move. But then this probably came down to 2 factors

1) EMC offers its own range of products, such as Avamar, so why would they have 2 products that compete with each other?

2) This would have raised concerns at companies who produce similar products, who VMWare relies upon to provide a software eco-system for the vSphere platform..

Finally, VMWare has track record of making buying out irrelevant companies, I don't pretend to understand their logic, but they tend to realise it was a poor mistake and the spin it out. Personally I'm just waiting for them to open source their logging solution ;)

3. 4k!n377

It actually works

The reason they have revenue growth is because Veeam is a product that actually seems to work - and keep working, rather than one that promises to work and then needs to be constantly nurtured.

After an age of battling mysteriously disappearing/failing backup repositories on VMware's VDR we got quite excited about their new release of VDP (based on EMC Avamar I believe).

This worked wonderfully for us for a while, (about a month) but then began exhibiting all sorts of errors for no apparent reason.

After a couple of days of battling with the VDR appliance, trying to understand why it was being so temperamental and even reinstalling it and losing all of our backups, we simply fired up another VM, installed Veeam in under an hour and then promptly forgot about maintaining backups from then on in - it just seems to work on its own (admittedly with an occasional worried (and slightly unbelieving) glance to make sure its still functioning.

Their success (and that of the other 3rd party backup vendors) is being strongly driven by the fact that VMware's own offerings are so temperamental.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like