back to article Boffins build FREE SUPERCOMPUTER from free cloud server trials

Researchers Rob Ragan and Oscar Salazar have built a free LiteCoin-mining botnet that generates $US1750 a week using free cloud signup promotions. The pair will outline the exploit at Black Hat next month, but have blabbed to Wired about how they used automatic tools and processes to spread a currency-mining botnet across some …

1. d3rrial

Sounds

kind of abusive. It wouldn't surprise me if they got into legal trouble...

On the other hand, El Reg: Have you still not learned, that Bitcoin is written with lower case 'c' and is also not generatable on "graphical processing units"?

Even if these cloudservers had GPUs available for processing, it would likely cost the Researchers more in internet connectivity costs if they were to mine bitcoins. Due to the trials being free, obviously, Litecoin still has the capability of being profitable (near zero costs, non-zero income) yet there would be wiser choices as to what to do with the time they spent on creating this.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Sounds

I didn't downvote you, but I don't agree.

Granted they may have broken contracts, but can't see anything illegal here.

1. d3rrial

Re: Sounds

Well. Strictly speaking Aaron Swartz didn't do anything illegal either. Or Josef S.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

I did not know there *were* that many cloud providers. Or are they

like those "mobile phone companies" that are actually switchless resellers and are basically a telephone sales operation? IE Amazon or Azure resellers?

Thumb Up

Re: I did not know there *were* that many cloud providers. Or are they

I wondered that too.

From the article (which refers to them as 'hackers' *sigh*):

Companies like Google, Heroku, Cloud Foundry, CloudBees, and many more offer developers the ability to host their applications on servers in faraway data centers, often reselling computing resources owned by companies like Amazon and Rackspace. Ragan and Salazar tested the account creation process for more than 150 of those services. Only a third of them required any credentials beyond an email address—additional information like a credit card, phone number, or filling out a captcha. Choosing among the easy two-thirds, they targeted about 15 services that let them sign up for a free account or a free trial. The researchers won’t name those vulnerable services, to avoid helping malicious hackers follow in their footsteps.

2. Ian 62

Re: I did not know there *were* that many cloud providers. Or are they

Obligatory XKCD

http://xkcd.com/908/

3. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Maths failure?

"Researchers Rob Ragan and Oscar Salazar have build a free LiteCoin-mining botnet that generates $US1750 a week /using free cloud signup promotions.

The pair will outline the exploit at Black Hat next month, but have blabbed to Wired about how they used automatic tools and processes to spread a currency-mining botnet across some 150 popular free services that each generated about 25 cents a day -- all on the providers' electricity bill."

Um... 150 * 0.25 * 7 != 1750

1. David Roberts

Re: Maths failure?

You appear to be assuming one bot per service

Happy

Re: Maths failure?

I am indeed!

4. E 2

This is not an attack or exploit. They used freely offered legitmate services to do computation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like