back to article Fantastic fantasy four-way fling – and family-friendly fun

I'm 300 pages into Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance from The Storm Light Archive and I have decided it’s the best fantasy book I've ever read. On Sunday nights I drag my eyes from the page to watch the fourth series of Game of Thrones – I’m all about fantasy at the moment, just call me Lucy Targaryen, Mother of Ferrets. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fading

Necromunda!

Damn-it now I have to spend this evening digging around the attic for my Escher figurines.....

1. Robin

Re: Necromunda!

> Damn-it now I have to spend this evening digging around the attic for my Escher figurines.....

Be careful on the never-ending, sideways stairs when you go up there.

2. TheProf
    WTF?

Eh?

Who's in the what now?

3. Longrod_von_Hugendong

I really did love Skyrim...

but the lack of Multiplayer made it feel incomplete, then came the announcement of ESO, so then it was obvious why it was missed out. Shame really.

I am going to get Diablo 3 at some point, I played the demo and it seemed really good. At the moment GTAV and Deus Ex: Human revolution, directors cut are taking up my allocated gaming time.

1. Shrimpling

Re: I really did love Skyrim...

The Elder Scrolls should be a single player game.

I'm glad Skyrim didn't have multiplayer and am a little disappointed that Bethesda decided to release an Elder Scrolls game with a monthly fee. I hope it doesn't fail and prevent us getting a proper Elder Scrolls 6.

1. Interceptor

Re: I really did love Skyrim...

ESO is done by separate developers. Bethsoft is hard at work on ES6. :)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternatives

I bought my son Castle Panic - a board game - for his birthday. Easily setup, easily played, easily packed away again. Simple enough that he can persuade my father to join in with a game, or his friends. And I get more interaction out of him with that - or the 1980s DungeonQuest - than I do with him playing Minecraft pocket edition on a tablet. (I could really use some recommendations for apps that can impose curfews and overall game time on a Samsung Tab)

Perpetual licence, zero hardware requirements save a source of light if its past dusk.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

Re: Alternatives

But with board games you have to watch out for world-shattering attacks by the godlike "Family Cat", or similarly destructive attacks by the deity known as "Little Sister"

1. Shaha Alam

My 2 year old insists that his foot is an essential part of the game. He therefore insists on displacing other game pieces with a staunch placement of said foot, at any opportunity.

2. P. Lee
      Childcatcher

> (I could really use some recommendations for apps that can impose curfews and overall game time on a Samsung Tab)

Recommended apps include: SternVoice, CheckWatch, HandItOver and SlipperThreat.

(Legal Note: not all apps are available in all jurisdictions)

I've also noticed - Scalectrix is far more fun than photo-realistic car-racing video games. We've also taken to card games in the evening - uno, crib (which our 9-year-old loves) etc.

3. Ian 55

Lots of even better board games

If you haven't already seen boardgamegeek, do have a look.

Depending on his age, SmallWorld would be another one to try.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Coat

fat-bottomed Mystics

... make the rockin' world go round!

6. Thecowking

RoS was what saved Diablo 3 for me

Before RoS I had played a little D3, finished inferno and pretty much gave up, then I got RoS and frankly it's now the sequel to Diablo 2 that we always wanted, PvP needs work, but when ladders and seasons come in with 2.1, I can definitely see a lot of my free time vanishing into the ether.

1. phroggelator

Re: RoS was what saved Diablo 3 for me

I dont think anything can save Diablo for me anymore. I get my Diablo-style gaming fix from Path of Exile and I doubt I would ever go back to Diablo now - especially given the amount of money I'd have to pay for D3 (and thats before you compare what PoE costs).

7. Ian 55

"The Peter Jackson films continue to do justice to this awesome source material"

Ha.

The first two have been major league bum ache - far more padding on screen than on any cinema seat - with no dramatic tension whatsoever. The ludicrous chase scenes are probably the worst bits.

1. ukgnome

Re: "The Peter Jackson films continue to do justice to this awesome source material"

I am so pleased I am not alone in this thought - I actually walked out of the cinema during LOTR and positively refuse to watch the hobbit. The fact that I can read the entire book during the cinema epic and still see the titles speaks volumes. The Lego game however is pure class.

1. Tony Paulazzo

Re: "The Peter Jackson films continue to do justice to this awesome source material"

LOTR was filmed with love, respect & hard work, physical and practical effects, travelling all over NZ and tight editing, etc whereas The Hobbit is CGI craptastic with awful editing - you can see the seams where it was stretched to fit three films (the river run and mine running).

Also, Elder Scrolls Online is awful, two of the classes are completely broken (the nightblade being one of them which the reviewer discovered, passive skills that don't work etc), and after you finish the 50 levels, you repeat the game in the other two factions to get to veteran rank 10 (now 12), with bots rampant in the lower levels - theme park? it's barely a theme ride it's so on rails...

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Childcatcher

LOTR was filmed with love, respect & hard work, physical and practical effects, travelling all over NZ and tight editing, except where Jackson decided to change the ending substantially. He left out "The Scouring of the Shire," which was arguably the point of the story.

The Hobbit films are well worth checking out, but not in the sense they were intended. We have run the first in our home like a MST3K show, freely mocking most... well, everything, especially the bromance between Thorin and the white orc and the video game cut scenes.

Lemonade from lemons.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ESO

Just about the worst model ever - not only is it not very good but it is both Subscription model and one off Payment model! Locking content behind paywalls above and beyond the initial paywall is pretty scandalous.

1. Dcope

Re: ESO

Pffft begone Anon, VR12 Still subbed and having way to much fun in PVP, have enough doom and gloominess, locking content? everything was spelled out before you stumped up your cash.

Wildstar is that way ----------------------->

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: ESO

Didn't spend a penny on it.

Did the betas

9. Maty

I see GW2 was left off the list. Is this because it featured the kingdom of Orr which has left malign artifacts all over the game environment?

(cf Reviewer's name ...)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like