back to article World's first ever Nobel Prize winning integrated circuit to be auctioned

Are you a chip nerd with $2m to spare? Then you're in luck, because a historic prototype of the world's first integrated circuit is set to be auctioned at Christie's. The expensive piece of computing history was invented by Jack Kilby at Texas Instruments in 1958 and demonstrated that an integrated circuit could be squeezed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RobHib
    Happy

Let's hope.

Well, I hope it ends up where it truly belongs: in a tech museum somewhere.

This is spectacularly important tech history and it should be on show for all to see it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re; Let's hope. (Me Too!)

This original IC belongs in the Smithsonian Museum, not in the hands of a private collector.

This is the kind of research and innovation we need in this country and displaying it in a National Museum provides a real life example for science students.

1. Don Jefe

Re: Re; Let's hope. (Me Too!)

It does belong in a public museum, I agree 100%! So does Christies, that's why the high estimate. It's excessively hard for public institutions to purchase high dollar things directly. Politics, idiots and the politics of idiots get in the way 'who wants to see 'that', it's old crap'.

But that doesn't stop museums from wanting those things in their collections. Christies knows how that works too. So they give it a high estimate and within hours the phones of major donors are ringing. Wealthy private individuals purchase the thing, then lend it to the museum for permanent display. The tax payer is out little more than the cost of some lunches, invites to fancy parties and a few hours for the donor in the dinosaur hall with a saddle, golf clubs and a brace of Brazilian hookers.

All in all it's a nice system.

3. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Operation?

I'd excuse Christie's for not saying what kind of operation this first IC performs. But c'mon, El Reg!

According to widikepia it's a a single-transistor oscillator with a distributed RC feedback. Shame that I don't have any use for that ;)

And yep, should go to a museum.

1. Borg.King
      Mushroom

Re: Operation?

Just need to add a battery and a big coil.

2. Mike Flex

Re: Operation?

"According to widikepia it's a a single-transistor oscillator with a distributed RC feedback. Shame that I don't have any use for that ;)"

You mean it's not a ... 7400!?!

4. NoneSuch Silver badge

Worth its weight in gold

Solder. £1.95

Custom case. £16.45

Fabricated IC Chip £2,000,000

Only piece of electronics on earth without an NSA backdoor built in. Priceless.

5. banjomike
    Happy

A link to a page with piccies

http://www.christies.com/presscenter/pdf/2014/release_microchip_june2014.pdf

6. Acme Fixer

not much use...

Because germanium can't be passivated, it's probably not functional now.

1. wiljan

Re: not much use...

Germanium in a vacuum at 80 Kelvin, need not be passivated. A Ge diferential FET, "there" can have a voltage gain of 30 with no measurable noise increase. Slicon does not work when cold. Perhaps someday that will be re-investigated.

2. toxicdragon

Re: not much use...

What about the Managerium?

7. wiljan

It was Jack Kilby at TI that was priceless. He and others with experience would be interested in, and help out with any current "Aw Shit". What a wonderful place to finally learn, after that BSEE!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Question

Can it blend??

Joke alert, because so many people seem to have NO sense of humour!!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smithsonian display is a Chinese fake

Smihsonian also bought an single-transistor oscillator with a distributed RC feedback , slightly scratched, for $1M.

1. Ole Juul

Re: Smithsonian display is a Chinese fake

They couldn't resist the free shipping offer on eBay.

10. Charles Manning

I'm going to wait for the next one...

It will be faster, cheaper and smaller.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like