back to article Whoa! NUDE! SELFIES! for! Marissa! Mayer's! Blink-gobbling! Yahoo!

Yahoo! has bought Blink, a Snapchat-style app whose messages, in theory at least, self-destruct. It's the 40th startup gobbled by web giant. The Marissa-Mayer-led Yahoo! will wind up Blink, and welcome its seven-strong team onto the Purple Palace's own staff roster. The terms of the deal have not yet been released. On its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

So another company...

...that will be completely fucked up by Yahoo.

2. Bene Pendentes

Only idiots believe ...

... that digital artifacts can reliably self destruct. FFS even if they somehow disabled screenshots you could just use another camera.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Only idiots believe ...

The stuff on the phone might self destruct, but what about the huge archive that is being held on the servers?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Explanation

So if you already have it, now that it has been withdrawn, do you lose you rights over its use and no longer get updates?

Will you have to spend again to get it?

3. frank ly

re. Meh Labs

I read that as Meth Labs.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Serious Question

I don't understand these acquisitions at all. What's the point? Yahoo buys it then winds it up. Why not just roll their own? They've basically just destroyed what they bought, they've got seven developers but so what? Don't they have their own developers already?

1. Old Handle

Re: Serious Question

Presumably on some level they realize their inability to create a product people actually want to use, so buying a product people already like is very tempting.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm not entirely convinced that Yahoo actually does have their own programmers. Going to their site usually confirms that suspicion.

I don't really know how they exist anymore. Probably the 45+ generation who grew up with AOL or Yahoo as their homepage options.

3. Richard Gadsden
      Paris Hilton

It's an acqui-hire.

5. ian 22

For nude selfies, click here

What? Wait, where are the nude selfies? I didn't see any links!

This article is tosh.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey!

Where's the Marissa Mayer nude selfies?

7. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    WTF?

we believe everyone should be free to show the same honesty and spontaneity in their online conversations as they can in person

Honesty? Online? What are these guys smoking, and why do they think self-destructing photos are going to provide more honesty online?

8. Ryan Clark

MS have a windows phone app called Blink for taking photo bursts. I didn't realise you were supposed to be nude in them.

9. Sandra Greer

Who! Cares!

Yahoo's email performance has become so horrible I have mostly switched to gmail, after years of using it. Yahoo Answers was recently modified to become unusable, so I stopped contributing to it; I was a major contributor to their general medical questions. Adding stupid selfies for stupid people is yet another stupid move by the self-destructive company.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo?

Does anyone still use Yahoo?

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Yahoo?

Ya? Who?

They had a nice widget thing on my Nokia Phone. Then Nokia inexplicably killed all the widgets insisting that their useless "app shop" would be a replacement. But the value of Symbian then was

a) Nice little Widgets (Comics, Teletext, Yahoo etc)

b) Able to install free or paid application downloads from anywhere like a real OS such as Linux or Windows.

The App store never had replacements for ANY of the Widgets.

What exactly is Yahoo's revenue model anyway?

11. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like