back to article Did hackers scoop source code from DayZ zombie game brains?

It's feared source code for the apocalyptic zombie game DayZ may have fallen into the hands of hackers after an alleged security breach at publisher Bohemia Interactive. Someone called DrWhat, apparently based in the UK, appears to have uploaded debugging data for the game's executable – specifically a program database file ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

develop cheats

Yes because none exist ...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone trying to cheat anything in this game is completely missing the point, their loss

It's great fun

1. FrankAlphaXII

While I agree, it would be nice to have a can opener on-demand. I could live without anything ridiculous like invulnerability, weapons, or unlimited ammo, but having a can opener in the first four hours or so would be nice. I haven't played the standalone client so maybe they fixed that, but in the mod it was a real pain in the ass to find one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

find an axe, it'll do till you get an opener

2. poobumwilly

What the hell are you on about?

There are no can openers in the mod... only in standalone.

3. Sebastian A

For people who cheat

the fun comes not from surmounting obstacles and overcoming challenges, it comes from making other people throw their toys out of the cot.

When I started gaming on the second hand c64 we got, I quickly realised that if I cheated in a game I lost interest soon after. But we're not talking about that type of person here.

4. d3rrial

Since when

...is a PDB file or source code required to make cheats? Any half assed reverser can tell you that PDBs are merely a bonus, not a requirement. This is especially true for games based on the ArmA engine, as these already come with built in cheats ( -> Admin tools ) for which you only need to trick the script engine to apply them to you...

1. spatulasnout

Re: Since when

Agreed; though regarding, "you only need to trick the script engine to apply them to you" -- fortunately the DayZ SA netcode has diverged from ArmA in this respect.

The DayZ servers now run the simulation, and no longer need to trust clients at the wide-open level ArmA does.

In the months since DayZ SA has been released for early access, a few unpatched legacy scripting hooks were discovered by cheaters, but the dev. team is now able to close such holes in a way that was never possible with ArmA.

Ultimately DayZ will be left with just the standard array of pure client-side hackery, like wallhacks (radar, highlighting players/items), aimbots, speedhacks. Which, while annoying, at least are far less egregious than the godmode/thunderdome/turn-all-players-into-chickens-or-goats scripting exploits that have been abused in the mod.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DrWhat is just a child..

he did nothing new, anyone hacking on this game is doing that.

Making a post on here about this is just very stupid and gives the kid attention that he did not even earn. This is as much tremendously stupid as posting the "hacking community" where this source was posted here..

Also getting this data is as easy as starting up winamp and play a song.

6. Stuart Halliday
    Facepalm

Do players still play the Mod?

It's so full of hackers and cheats, it's not worth playing.

This topic is closed for new posts.