back to article Architect of Apple's total-silence public relations policy leaves

Apple has one of the simplest public relations policies in human history: keep everything secret until the CEO announces it. It worked for Steve Jobs and might well do so for Tim Cook, assuming that he's actually going to release a new product before fanbois all drop dead of boredom. Now the woman who erected Cupertino's wall …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

18 years and never made it to SVP - oh dear.

1. Don Jefe

As a general rule of thumb, EVPs and SVPs are as far as you can go if your strengths lie in operational capacities. One of the quicker ways to really screw up a company, and a person, is to put them in a strategic management role just because a slot opened up in the C-Suite.

It's not that those people are inferior, not at all. It simply means people have varying strengths and to ignore them is folly. People in those upper tier (s)VP roles often make just as much money, get the same perks and responsibilities as the C-levels. A lot of those people command as much control over a company as the highest level executives. Kind of like a regent or chief of staff.

In a geek appropriate example, James T. Kirk and Jean Luc Picard were both shitty admirals, but great captains. The simply didn't think strategically, but were top of field in tactical planning and actions.

1. RamsBottom

"In a geek appropriate example, James T. Kirk and Jean Luc Picard were both shitty admirals, but great captains. The simply didn't think strategically, but were top of field in tactical planning and actions."

Quite apropriate to reference the source of Apple original designs:

http://www.t-gaap.com/2011/11/1/did-jobs-copy-star-trek

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"As a general rule of thumb, EVPs and SVPs are as far as you can go if your strengths lie in operational capacities."

Yeah - and this bird never made it to SVP. Oh dear.

2. Valeyard

ideal

"Katie Cotton, VP of Worldwide Corporate Communications"

whose policy was "don't talk to anyone". Must be nice to be your own manager!

My new policy is "Don't create any code". Job done!

1. Hollerith 1

Re: ideal

I had a Comms boss whose first reaction was always 'better to make no comment'. Even internally. Luckily, during one crisis, the manager of another team took on the job of issuing internal bulletins, which saved morale from tanking. My boss, when it filtered through that these bulletins were seen as Good by senior management, took the credit -- but never did learn that sometimes you actually have to communicate something to somebody, esp. if you have 'comms' in your job title.

It was a strange place to work.

3. kmac499

More time on the Homefront ??

Well based on the policy of "say nuffin to nobody" the day job can't have been that taxing..

1. Lallabalalla
      Thumb Up

Re: More time on the Homefront ??

Based on the people I know in the industry, saying nothing to nobody is the hardest thing in the world. I wish they'd all take a leaf out of her book and just STFU :)

1. Don Jefe

@ Lallabalalla (what the hell does that mean? :)

In all seriousness, keeping information contained and controlled is unbelievably difficult. You can have all the policies and rules in the world, but unless you're going to chain the staff to their desks all your information walks out the door at quittin' time everyday.

Military's do a pretty good job of keeping stuff secret, but let's face it, unless you're under military attack most people don't give a shit about the military. But huge numbers of people worship iStuff and getting some early info can really improve a journalists future job prospects. So Apple doesn't have the luxury of being ignored, they're constantly being prodded.

Until about 2/3 of the way through dotcom v1 it was common for companies to keep secrets about upcoming products by lying their asses off and running interference for the truth. The practice was ultimately (mostly) squashed by angry shareholders who sued because they were misled. It sure was fun though.

1. RamsBottom

Re: @ Lallabalalla (what the hell does that mean? :)

"lying their asses off"

Arses?

Mules?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> "Perhaps it's time at last for Cupertino to, ahem, reach out to El Reg after all these years. We'll be waiting."

Why? It's not as if they (or anyone else for that matter) care what you think Jasp.

1. Blitterbug
      Thumb Down

Re: It's not as if they (or anyone else for that matter) care what you think Jasp

Stalking this guy around the Reg to rip on his articles is getting a little tired now.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: It's not as if they (or anyone else for that matter) care what you think Jasp

"Crawling in my skin. These wounds they will not heal."

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, if he will write like a 5 year old, he deserves to br 'ripped'. Listen, bucko, I've been around here long enough (certainly longer than you - my username may be new to the site but I am not) to see the standards drop. Hamill is the lowest they've gotten. I'll, continue to rip on his articles while he continues to post them.

1. Blitterbug
          Facepalm

Wow, touchy. And the 'been around longer than you, bucko' is also old and very, very tired. Out of interest you can add around eight years to my username registration date, though of course I daresay you've still been here longer anyhow. Guess that makes you the man. Whatever. I would also add that you seem to have a genuine thirst for ad hominem. Good luck with that.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Like you don't. Your post is an ad hominem itself numbnuts...

1. Blitterbug
              Meh

Re: Your post is an ad hominem itself numbnuts...

Mildly so, perhaps. Minus words like numbnuts.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@Regtard

I care what J.H. thinks. Thus your statement is incorrect. In fact, I can name at least 250 (probably more, if I think about it) members of the VMware community alone that would consider themselves "fans" of J.H., including at least a dozen CEOs. I have been asked to arrange introductions come VMworld between J.H. and some of these folks, so I'm pretty sure that the apathy (or in your case outright hostility) is limited to a fairly narrow(minded) subset of the readership.

Edit: and just to make sure I get a nice Ad Hom in here to keep the average low...while J.H. may make the odd very human error in his writing, your ceaseless bellyaching has left me with only one inescapable conclusion regarding this whole issue: you, sir, are uncompromisingly inferior.

5. nematoad

Eh?

"... the woman who erected Cupertino's wall of silence has left after 18 years at Apple."

Who told you that?

1. emmanuel goldstein

Re: Eh?

I guess that having left the cult, she no longer has to keep schtum...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe Symantec's senior VP Brian Dye could learn from her book... (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/06/symantec_antivirus_is_dead_and_not_a_moneymaker/)

7. jai

your milage may vary

seems John Gruber @ daringfireball had a much better relationships with her than El Reg did:

http://daringfireball.net/2014/05/katie_cotton

1. Don Jefe

Re: your milage may vary

John Gruber is an evangelist, so he's going to get more from Apple. Your proxy has to know enough to avoid distorting your message.

El Reg on the other hand is just as likely to make fun of Apple as they are to sing their praises. With the notable exceptions of climate science and sustainable energy The Register does a good job of being fair, not skewed.

1. Bill Fresher

"El Reg on the other hand is just as likely to make fun of Apple as they are to sing their praises."

El Reg is a Nokia luva. Every1 nos dat.

1. jai

Adn in the pay of Microsoft it would seem: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/15/windows_phone_live_an_enterprise_story/

8. Frankee Llonnygog

Just one 'fruity' in the whole article?

I think Jasper must be feeling a bit poorly. Chin-up Jasps - I've just sent you some chicken soup in the post.

Though it might have been better to send it in a container ...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The old "spending time with family" thing eh?

When these powerful people step down to spend more quality time with their loved ones, I always wonder if anyone actually asks the loved ones first?

I mean, if you've spent 18 hours a day for 20 years moving and shaking the world of big business, do they still even know who you are?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: The old "spending time with family" thing eh?

I've always thought about it the other way: 'So where they neglecting their family this whole time?'

2. Don Jefe

Last thing first. No, your family doesn't know who you are if you've been in senior management roles for long periods of time. Hell, your friends, peers and colleagues don't know who you are. It's nearly impossible to have an interesting non-business conversation with anyone.

I found out a guy I worked with for many years had a pretty impressive thing going on the side. When we traveled for work he liked to take photos of old, high end wallpaper and he would use those images to create historically correct wallpaper for doll houses. The guy was made of 95% gin and drive a $300k car, but at home he liked dollhouses and sells his wallpaper all over the works. Nearly seven years working with that guy and found out by accident.

At any rate, I used to think that was just part of the gig and just accepted it. But over a decade later I'm still not 100% certain I made the right choice(s). I missed a lot of good stuff. Oh well...

The 'spend more time with the family' line is generally code. Unless you know that persons family life is imploding or the guys wife or kids are dying or something equally awful and unfortunate, saying that means the headhunters and press are to leave you alone. Violating that unofficial rule is deeply frowned upon. Offending journalists and/or their employers will lose special access to other companies and executive headhunters have been run completely into the ground as doors were closed to them.

I'm not saying they aren't going to spend more time with their families, just that it's unnecessary to tell anyone other than your boss or possibly the Board why you're leaving. They announce it like this to be sure everyone gets the message.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, it can often be code.

In British politics for example it might mean "I've been caught with a rent boy".

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kate has given her all

Remarkable effort, considering output.

Chapter 2: "18 years of silence" by Kate Apple, order now!

1. Tom 13

Re: Kate has given her all

No need to rush. I understand they'll have new covers on a surplussed ship load of blank diaries within a week, after which they'll ship to all the stores.

11. Only me!
    Gimp

Silence is golden!

It certainly was in this case.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"impenetrable web of bullshit around the iPad, iPhone"

I see El Reg is employing fanboys as writers now.

13. Levente Szileszky

Must get this image out of my head...

...after reading "she protected Tim Cook's inner sanctum, which fewer people seem to want to penetrate"...

...seriously, it's just wrong.

14. Pu02

I guess most got it anyway, but about half way through the article was this line:

"Latterly, she span a dense, impenetrable web of bullshit around the i..."

But surely you meant,

"Literally, she spun..."

1. Warm Braw

A dense, impenetrable web of bullshit

I know there's history between El Reg and Apple, but I can't help feeling that hyperbole has got the better of materials science.

1. Tom 13

Re: A dense, impenetrable web of bullshit

It is not generally know that John Michell was originally venting to a friend over a pint at the pub before he wrote his famous missive Henry Cavendish:

I tell you, it's all bullshit and it's completely impenetrable. In fact, anything you throw at it sticks to it and simply becomes more bullshit. It's just like a black hole from which nothing escapes.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

"Latterly, she span a dense, impenetrable web of bullshit around the i..."

But surely you meant,

"Literally, she spun..."

I can't tell if this is a serious objection or some rather subtle attempt at a joke. If it's the former, then there's nothing wrong with "latterly", though "span" is presumably a typographical error for "spun".

Using "literally" to mean "figuratively", while common, is of course avoided by all people of good will, so your proposed change is worse than the original.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. John Savard

Building

I noticed that the link to this article about Apple's "total silence public relations policy" was illustrated by a photo of the GCHQ's new headquarters. An amusing and appropriate choice.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like