back to article Live in the middle of nowhere? CONGRATS. Some of you can pay EE for 4G

The denizens of 12 farflung towns across the United Kingdoms received a bit of good news today after EE continued its rollout of 4G. A total of 187 towns across the UK are now covered by EE's 4G, with the latest well-connected places including world-class conurbations like Macclesfield, Burnley and Bridgend. Olaf Swantee, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"world-class conurbations like Macclesfield,"

You might not be aware but the arc of towns/viilages including Altrincham, Knutsford, Wilmslow, Alderley Edge, Macclesfield, Prestbury, Poynton, Disley have the highest disposable income outside of central London

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
      FAIL

....and only in the town centre

I live in Macclesfield. And I have an EE sub. And I can't make reliable calls in the back of my house.

Pah!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah that would be because...

of the 300grand a week that the likes of Wayne Rooney gets. A lot of other footballers live in that part of the country.

For the rest of us plebs life is a little more mundane and just about any mobile signal over 1 bar is a welcome surprise.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Top Tip

Mobile networks : Make 3G work first.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Top Tip

Mobile networks : Make 2G work first.

1. HMB

Mobile networks : Make 1G work first.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

4G actually saves them money since it is more efficient.

3. Michael B.

They are sorting it out it's called LTE. It's more efficient than 3G on better frequencies.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bridgend and Pontypool because you need superduperfast broadband everywhere when you're unemployed and live in a hellhole.

1. aliterate

>Bridgend and Pontypool because you need superduperfast broadband

>everywhere when you're unemployed and live in a hellhole.

I thought that hellholes were where people live who made comments about places where other people live being hellholes.

(Unless they are responding to such people, of course).

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Livingstone = explorer

Livingston = place

(or star of Office Space)

5. GettinSadda

The middle of nowhere?

Strange idea of "the middle of nowhere" - all of those places seem to be right next to major cities (mainly regional capital cities) and/or next to major motorways.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're joking? the reason so many places in the middle of nowhere have poor mobile reception is they all get together and object to planning permission for masts.

7. Vince

Great all we need now is for usage allowances and tariffs that are sensible.

£67.99 for 20GB a month. Won't be chucking out that Three contract quite yet then...

8. Shaun Blagdon

I do hope this the Regs attempt at humour. You sound like a Tory Peer talking about the desolate wastelands of the north.

9. Kubla Cant
    Flame

I can't get an EE signal inside my house*. I'd change network, but all the networks' maps suggest that I'd need to go outside, or even go to the next village**, to get a signal. This is all very well if I'm making calls - I can just use the land line - but one of the reasons I have a mobile phone is so that I can receive calls from people who might offer me work.

*Middle of nowhere? No. 8 miles from the Cambridge Science Park.

**I suppose that's what they mean by a mobile phone. You have to go somewhere else to use it.

1. Timbo

<quote>*Middle of nowhere? No. 8 miles from the Cambridge Science Park.</quote>

I know the feeling - I used to live just up the A10, halfway between Cambridge and Ely......ok, so most of it is farmland.....BUT, signal reception on all major mobile networks was god-awful....and you were lucky on broadband to get 512k, sometimes reaching 1Meg.

I'm now just a few miles from Macc and with luck, 4G will get here soon.....but I'm not going to be holding my breath

2. Jay Zelos

I used to commute to work (on the odd occasion the train was running) from Norwich to Lowestoft, a 40 minute journey of which 30 consisted of no signal. My original plan was to work on the train, productive time etc. Since the fare was upped to £200 a month and still no WiFi, I decided to give up and car share.

10. BlackBolt
    Meh

Nothing to do with 2G / 3G networks

For the slightly confused about it.

The 4G rollout should have no effect what so ever on the existing 2G or 3G networks in terms of 'fixing them'. 4G is a totally different infrastructure. Telco's are 'fixing 2G/3G' by replacing it with 4G.

Its not just about speed, its about contention. The existing 3G network is plenty fast enough, its just that there is an exponentially large number of people using it now, and there isn't any more space in the frequency to cram more people into it. The 3G network is the '3 lane M4'. The 4G network is a 25 lane M4, its just got a lot more capacity.

Also the network edge doesn't dtop off. See those 2 bars you've got on 3G? They have a massive impact on your network handshake. Same case on 4G, no impact at all, its full signal to the edge of the network handoff zone.

Next thing you'll see is that 3G goes altogether. 2G will become m2m (Machine to machine - i.e. your washing machine / boiler / eleccy meter) and 4G will be THE data network.

So thats how they'll fix 2G.....

1. Gezza

Re: Nothing to do with 2G / 3G networks

should have no effect - but it seems to. Used to have good 3G around the house until 4G was launched around here at which time 3G reception turned pants (and even 2G). Only place it works now is outside back of house. Orange/EE denied this was their fault (eh?) and refused one of their femtocell boxes, even when I offered to buy it, but instead offered me my PAC number. So much for customer loyalty (since 1995).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like