back to article I'd rather hire lesser but 'agreeable' bod than arrogant rocket scientist

As a part of a CEO series, Willem ter Harmsel interviews CEOs of innovative companies in the fields of storage, virtualisation and networking. Nimble Storage was founded in 2008, offering a hybrid storage model that works both with magnetic disk and flash storage. They have been very successful and issued an IPO very …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Intractable Potsherd

Arrogance v agreeableness

"If I can choose between an arrogant rocket scientist and an agreeable guy that I love to work with - that isn't quite as talented yet, I choose the latter."

So, discrimination against people with e.g. Asperger's Syndrome, huh?

I have a bit of a game I like to play with people. I ask them whether they would rather deal with someone who is lacking in interpersonal skills, but who gets the job done properly, on time, every time, or someone who has all the interpersonal skills going, but fails the "getting the job done" test say, 25% of the time. The answer tells me a lot about the person, and it worries me that so many people would prefer the inefficient but pleasant person over the grumpy but efficient one, especially in roles where "niceness" is completely irrelevant - e.g. someone to fix the car.

2. Ant Evans

Optimal

OK. Now assemble a whole business full of brilliant arseholes. How well does that work?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Optimal

A clash of egos can be managed, as long as employees can agree to agree on a few postulates (ground rules on how to argue, when to execute, etc.). It's more a question of whether the management is brilliant enough for the task. Seems like that's not the case at Nimble. But then again, there's nothing wrong with yes-men management.

3. This post has been deleted by a moderator

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019