back to article VMware takes aim at AWS with hybrid cloudy infra service

VMware will next week launch a hybrid cloudy infrastructure service to take on Amazon in the UK, using only channel partners rather than his own employees to do so, a move many old world tech vendors have so far failed to make. The covers are to be lifted from the VMware Hybrid vCloud Service – launched last year across the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. roomey
    Mushroom

No price war

I doubt they are going to be competing with Amazon on cost. I'm sure there wont be a huge difference, but I am sure bug customers will be adding this to their ELA.

It will be difficult to do a straight up cost comparison.

1. InsaneGeek

Re: No price war

We've found that Amazon costs are about double the cost of doing it ourselves. That includes datacenter pace/power/cooling, physical equipment, network, and all associated staff to deal with it.

Amazon, etc are great if you don't have the staff to maintain the infrastructure or you are starting out where spending money on the datacenter is not as good investment as in developers, etc to make your product better. But once you get to a certain capacity, the clouds costs are really out of line compared to doing it yourself.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No price war

I think you mean take on Microsoft. Microsoft already offer an established Hybrid cloud via Azure and System Centre - and recently overtook AWS for Wintel cloud market share globally....

2. Gavin Hamill

Not cloud

vCHS (I was a beta tester) is not cloud - you buy a chunk of reserved capacity managed by vCloud Director in 3 or 12 month terms. Hardly 'spin up, spin down, pay for what you use'

No ability to use Veeam, Zerto or anything else that needs access to the underlying vSphere.

Bezos can sleep soundly.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like