back to article Google moves to silence critics - whips out EC search settlement deal

Google has gone public with details of its revised search biz settlement offer, after it successfully bagged a deal from Brussels' competition chief last week - despite disappointment from rivals in the case who had pushed for tough sanctions. In a blog post today, the ad giant's general counsel Kent Walker said that Google …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In spite of what they say, surely they don't yet have a resolution...

... until after it has been formally ratified?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does the agreement boil down to "we can continue to data-rape EU citizens provided we cut some politicians in on the deal"?

Couldn't be arsed to read it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

out of topic

This settlement is about how Google Search results will keep containing links to other Google products, taking advantage from the fact nobody uses other search engines.

Google has a completely separate row with the EU concerning how they aggregate private user data from their different products without giving a choice to the users.

Do try to keep up!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nobody forced to use Google ..

> This settlement is about how Google Search results will keep containing links to other Google products, taking advantage from the fact nobody uses other search engines.

Who makes people not use other search engines and unlike Microsoft they don't make Bing the default engine with each service pack update of Windows

3. Primus Secundus Tertius

Awful document

I am deeply unimpressed with the document and with Google.

Firstly by the access to the document. The link in el Reg is to a file edit.htm, which contains javascript gobbledegook which obfuscates any genuine URL that the document might have. That gobble... whinges at the version of Firefox I am using. When I hit the save button, it offers me only edit.htm. But then I hit the print button, and that offers gibberish£$%^&*.pdf, which seems to be a printable pdf.

Secondly, the document itself. No table of contents, no introduction, no executive summary. For a document of 90+ pages we expect some help. The document radiates the legal expertise that went into it, but there is just no editorial expertise.

It would be nice to see Google defeated, as punishment for that awful document.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Awful document

"It would be nice to see Google defeated, as punishment for that awful document."

They aren't the only ones. A bit poor of the Reg to post an article that amounts to no more than a few sentences around a link? Should Kelly Fiveash be defeated and punished?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The link obfuscates any genuine URL?

@Primus Secundus Tertius: "The link in el Reg is to a file edit.htm, which contains javascript gobbledegook which obfuscates any genuine URL"

That's called Google Redirection, so as Google can see what links you clink on in the Search Results. You can disable this with `google-no-tracking-url' - not that this will prevent GC.NSA.HQ from recording your entire web activity for the past decade(s).

"Full text of the Agreement" PDF 5.1 MB 93 pages ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The link obfuscates any genuine URL?

Thanks.

2. Primus Secundus Tertius

Re: The link obfuscates any genuine URL?

Thanks for the genuine link.

However, I stand by my comments about no TOC etc., notwithstanding all the downvotes.

4. solo

Doesn't matter

So, all the advertising companies won.

What I want is punishment for commercial snooping. I bet they already know it about me but ignoring very conveniently.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like