back to article 'Eventful but positive' year for RM as it quits the PC-making world

Shape-shifting education supplier RM was in philosophical mood as it exited a biz-changing fiscal '13 with profits up and revenues down, impacted by fewer – but higher margin – Building Schools for the Future contracts. Turnover in the 12 months to 30 November fell nine per cent year-on-year to £261.7m (8.4 per cent excluding …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So RM quit the only business they are known for. Smart idea.

2. sorry, what?
    Unhappy

Nostalgic RML 380 Z

A big metal box with a lockable and illuminated power button and 5 1/4 inch floppy drive running some home grown games including missile command. Those were the days... None of this PC nonsense! Good riddence!

1. PeteA

Re: Nostalgic RML 380 Z

5 1/4" drives? ? Late model... the first one I used had 8" disks

3. Random Handle

>The well-signalled decline in the BSF programme.......but was equally a valuable source of profit and cash

I wonder if that's why the previous Labour Government's Schools' Minister responsible for BSF is now a Director of RM......probably just coincidence.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Having seen first hand the massive pigs ear RM made of setting up a network for a BSF school I am not surprised in the slightest they are where they are at the moment.

Said school will never work with RM again (and other 'RM assisted' schools I have spoken to have said the same)

5. David Goadby

Doomed

Since the start they ripped off education establishments (ie took our money) by re-badging and slightly modifying off-the-shelf equipment and selling it at a huge profit. You couldn't just add a hard disk to an RM box; oh-no you need their branded version.

Their networking sucked too.

Despite brave noises I cannot see how RM can survive as they no longer have a captive customer base or any products the education really wants.

On the downside a lot of local education authorities are now canning their school IT support departments as schools are doing it themselves.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like