back to article Facebook lets Russian search czar Yandex suck on its public 'firehose'

Folks without a firm grip on their Facebook privacy settings will now have their posts on the social network added to Russia's biggest search engine Yandex. "Facebook has granted us full access to its 'firehose' of public data," said the Russian firm in a statement. "This means that now, not only can Yandex search for people …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

All your data...

... are belong to them....

(What is Russian for "Bitch"?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All your data...

> (What is Russian for "Bitch"?)

блядь!

1. T. F. M. Reader
        Childcatcher

Re: All your data...

@AC01:09: Eh, no, sorry, not the right translation. With FB, Yandex, and El Reg involved you risk misleading much of the Interwebs.

2. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

This is an OUTRAGE!

Everyone knows "All your attention is belongs to the google!"

My take on Facebook is that they have one redeeming feature. At least I can't recall they ever pretended to such a motto as "Don't be evil." Still, I wish Facebook was a little more honest about the real deal: Facebook will let you pretend to be friends with lots of people on a wholesale basis, and in exchange Facebook gets to rape your personal information.

So why do I exist in any way on Facebook? Because I didn't want to be rude to some old friends who asked me to use it.

There's also a funny minor reason: I don't mind if old friends want to look me up and Facebook has become a major mechanism for that sort of thing. However, I mean REAL friends of my younger days, not Facebook so-called Friends.

Most particularly, my time is already too limited and pressed and I have no urge to "recruit" new friends on Facebook. The main feature I want on Facebook is a customizable contact warning. As customized, mine would say something like: "If you are an old friend, please feel free to contact me. If you have a GOOD and SUBSTANTIVE reason for contacting me, then you may do so, but you better explain why. If you are ANY kind of SPAMMER, then you contact me at your own risk, because I would dearly love to nuke every spammer account on Facebook."

I guess it's my #2 feature request, but it would be like notches on my gun so that I could know how many spammers I had helped nuke.

P.S. Apparently I'm a controversial poster. The register just said my posts had around 1,500 votes, but almost balanced. It appears I offend about as often as I please, but I certainly hope the spammers are most offended by my fixation against them...

3. raving angry loony

Done deal.

Deleted all my social media accounts a few months ago now. Barely know what to do with all the free time I've got suddenly. I'm seeing more people now too, which is nice. Best part is, my conversations are mostly private now, and they don't (yet) have advertising popups on my walks.

4. H.Winter

Live Journal

First time I've heard Live Journal mentioned in years, I didn't realise it was still used.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did anyone else click the article because...

...they had no idea what the headline was about.

Were you also disappointed that a better worded headline could have explained the story without the need for clicking it?

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Mushroom

Firehose?

Will you please stop referring to the feed from Facebook, Twitter and such as a "firehose".

The correct term for a large pipe full of crap is "sewer".

1. oolor
      Coat

Re: Firehose?

My good sir, you are mistaken:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fire%20hose

I doubt we are talking about the first one in definition #3.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like