back to article OCZ and Toshiba drive out new retail SSD line with Barefoot controller

Bankrupt hardware maker OCZ, whose assets are being bought by Toshiba, has a Vertex 460 enterprise SSD device in the pipeline, with a preview of it being shown at CES in Las Vegas. According to The SSD Review the Vertex 460 features: 120, 240 and 480GB capacity points Up to 95,000 random read IOPS Up to 550MB/sec …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. EPurpl3

Nice, I own a OCZ SSD and a Toshiba laptop, both are great.

1. Darryl

I agree (with the OCZ part anyways - don't have any Toshiba stuff right now). I wasn't happy to see OCZ going broke because I found their SSDs to be reasonably inexpensive and reliable. Good news that Toshiba stepped in.

1. asdf

>OCZ going broke because I found their SSDs to be reasonably inexpensive and reliable.

Inexpensive perhaps but reliable is not their reputation including here on El Reg. In fact I probably wouldn't buy any Toshiba branded SSD that has a lineage to OCZ for a few generations. Companies heading towards bankruptcy generally don't place a premium on Q&A or letting a design bake until its ready.

1. Darryl

Just an opinion based on my experience. Bought a pile of 60 GB Vertex Plus disks for upgrading desktops at work, instead of replacing the desktops, dirt cheap and the failure rate (so far) is zero, while there's been a noticeable speed boost in the machines.

1. asdf

no surprise

As always failures tend to be clustered in certain models in certain production runs so YMMV buyer beware etc. Often hear the opposite story too where someone will buy 20 OCZ and after many more than that RMAs they will give up and move on.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Sync? Toggle-mode??

Expn?

3. psychonaut

ocz ssd's are dogshit

i tried them on 3 or 4 builds that i did. 2 of the ocz agilities died within a few months.

their disks are absolute dog shit.

if you want an ssd, get a samsung 840 pro. there is nothing like it for speed and reliabiolity. probably built 50 or 60 builds with them now in the past 8 months or so, not one failure.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like