back to article Microsoft's next CEO: Who it WON'T be – Ford turn-around chief Mulally

Microsoft’s next CEO won’t be Ford Motor Company's turn-around star Alan Mulally. Mulally is said to have ruled himself out of contention for succeeding Steve Ballmer, halting the rumour mill spun up by journalists and those on Wall Street. Ford’s chief told the Associated Press he would remain at Ford for at least this year …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

My money is still on Elop

Don't forget the ELOP is a four letter word!

I am sure that there a lot of ex-Nokia, now MS staffers who hope that he does not get the job though.

If he does then it will be raining pink slips before long.

1. Paul Webb

Re: My money is still on Elop

It will be raining pink slips whoever gets the job.

2. Bob Vistakin
      Childcatcher

Could I suggest Gordon Brown?

I hear he's at a loose end these days, and he's looking to make amends for the little mishap or two he caused to the British economy recently.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: My money is still on Elop

Surely a spelling mistake? They surely mean Flop rather than Elop?

2. Ralph B

Who Else Won't It Be?

I just want to make it clear to the World that I won't be the next Microsoft CEO either. If others could rule themselves out of contention here, then I think The Register will have provided a valuable service to tech journalism.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who Else Won't It Be?

I won't be the next Microsoft CEO either. Too much rain in that part of the world, and after "upgrading" to Windows 8.1, which is supposed to be better than Windows 8, I really don't want to associate myself with a sinking ship.

Only 7 billion to go and we've really whittled it down.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Mind you, there are cannibals from as yet undiscovered tribes in Sumatra that would make better CEOs than Ballmer...

1. TheOtherHobbes

An empty chair would be better than Ballmer.

1. fishman

Now we know why Ballmer was throwing them....

3. Mr. Peterson

ACK!

the way this search for a MS CEO replacement is going, SB will probably be reappointed CEO by June 2014

4. All names Taken
    Happy

Bit of a shame really - the next boss should be obvious for charm, vigour, enthusiasm and charismatic leadership?

(I don't know if that puts me out or in)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bill Gates needs to get back in the hot seat

At least for a short while. I know not everyone rates him, but I suspect if he'd still been hands on in the last few years then he'd have strangled W8 at birth since he was a lot more picky about details (eg an interface thats unusable on a desktop PC) than Balmer and so the company wouldn't be in quite the mess its in now.

6. Number6

Practice

I've been working on my chair-throwing skills. The folding chair goes quite a distance now, I'm fairly respectable with the office chair but need more work before I'm happy with my distance with the sofa.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What use is it to hire someone who isn't passionate about computers?

That's the problem with Ballmer, he's just a suit.

8. Mikel

Headless Beast

Just how I like it. Blind and helpless, without direction. They can't delay the selection long enough to suit me.

9. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Tony Bates in the running?

You mean the one that's been there for just two years and responsible for the three way Skype-Messenger-Lync car crash? He's an outsider who's not been responsible for anything good, he's not going to get it.

Which means there's more chance of Elop taking over at the Titanic. Full steam ahead.

10. I'm not sleeping...

Why don't they just "bing it"?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like