back to article India's spooks prepare to peer through their own PRISM

The Indian government is gearing up to switch on "NETRA", a large scale internet surveillance system that will allow its spy agencies to monitor suspicious online communications in order to detect certain keywords. The Network Traffic Analysis system, to give NETRA its full name, will scan tweets, status updates, emails, IMs, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The question is, how would you ensure that the system is not used to snoop on the opposition party leaders' conversations? And the spooks' love interests?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not turn it on?

2. Otto is a bear.

Now didn't I read somewhere

A suggestion that people should move their stuff to India if they didn't want it monitored by the US, so obviously India is better.

BTW. The security services in any country always monitor the opposition parties, and the governing party as well. History shows us that security breaches are as likely to come from the party in power, as anyone else, more so in fact. I suppose the difference being weather they disclose it to the ruling party for political advantage or not. In the 5i community they just use it to stop the wrong people getting onto sensitive committees, or too high up, with a quiet word to their party leader, as demonstrated in "Yes, Prime Minister".

3. Al_21
    Coat

At least they're honest and have been since before NSA's antics were leaked.

I'll just leave now before I get fired upon.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So that's what the aid money was spent on, I was wondering why the poor people of India were still living in abject poverty.

1. randomview

You mean mean the US $ 15 billion aid budget India spends on other countries ?

Or do you mean the peanuts of US $ 250 million the UK Govt hoped will prod India to by the Typhoon jets ?

Ref 1: Google UK newspapers for Andrew Mitchell has been on record stating the above.

Ref:2:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/9061844/India-tells-Britain-We-dont-want-your-aid.html

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: You mean mean the US $ 15 billion aid budget India spends on other countries ?

You mean mean the US $ 15 billion aid budget India spends on other countries ?

No because I didn't know about India's aid budget, not being Indian I can't say I bother to keep up with their politics or budget.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention though, it makes me realise just how fucking absolutely shameful the politicians of India are (far more than I'd realised, right up there with our own scum politicians), that they should be giving money away when their own people are living in abject poverty.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: You mean mean the US $ 15 billion aid budget India spends on other countries ?

Aha! I wondered why I hadn't heard anything about India being so generous... it's because your claim is bollocks. You can't just make up numbers you know.

http://www.business-standard.com/article/opinion/t-n-ninan-india-as-aid-giver-113020200097_1.html

5. arthvr

listening for the obvious

Of course they will be listening for words like "bomb" and "kill" because terrorists are too stupid to use substitutes like "carrots" and "promote".

This is the main flaw in all the "keeping the people safe by spying on them" arguments

1. King Jack
      Pint

Re: listening for the obvious

"Yes, that party last night was a bomb, I'm off with a few mates to kill a curry." **FLAGGED***

6. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Attack bomb kill Attack bomb kill Attack bomb kill Attack bomb kill Attack bomb kill Attack bomb kill Attack bomb kill Attack bomb kill Attack bomb kill Attack bomb kill Attack bomb kill Attack bomb kill Attack bomb kill Attack bomb kill

7. Trainee grumpy old ****
    Black Helicopters

300GB / 400GB?

Taking the population at 1.27 billion (BEELION!), 300 to 400 GB works out to just about a couple of bytes per head. Even if only 0.1% of the entire population is being monitored and data retained that's still just a few KB each. Which begs the question is the limit really 300 GB / 400 GB across everyone or is it per person?

8. genghis_uk

Searching Forums?

Just go to one of the Call of Duty forums and hide in plain sight - way too many false positives on Bomb, Kill, Attack etc…

(Oh dammit - ***flagged***)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019