back to article We're not destroying the music biz: Spotify

Streaming music service Spotify has established a new web site - spotifyartists.com that explains it is not destroying the music business, but is instead showering riches on artists. The new site claims Spotify has handed over $US500m in royalties this year alone and has cracked the $1bn payments mark over its lifetime. It …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Meh

"free" to users. Hahahahahahahahahahahahah

What do you think the "Booking fee" is for?

The trouble with this is that (certainly in the US) the digital rights do not automatically go to the creators

2. Turtle

Better Now.

"We're not destroying the music biz by ourselves, we are just helping a general effort by a variety of parties *bURP!* - oops sorry!: Spotify"

Fixed.

3. Tom 7

So the ultimate way to achieve an efficient economy

is to have as many parasites as possible between producer and ultimate client?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So the ultimate way to achieve an efficient economy

It has the virtue of making the 'passengers' easy to identify when the 'B' ark is ready for boarding.

4. Killraven

Harder to make a living?

Just what sort of income is Spotify keeping artists from earning? Just because performers aren't getting as much as they want, doesn't mean their getting less than they deserve.

1. Psyx

Re: Harder to make a living?

I imagine that the major-label performers are doing fairly well, having had their label negotiate deals from a strong position. As usual, it's the guys who are already short of cash who will be getting hosed.

1. Killraven

@Psyx

I totally agree, but only 20 years ago (i.e., pre-internet) these "guys who are already short of cash" had pretty much zero alternatives to local performances. Now they can still do their local performing while supplementing their income via outlets like Spotify. An new revenue source PLUS the ability to reach a worldwide audience for potential sales and performance opportunities. HOW is this a bad thing?

1. SleepyJohn
          WTF?

Free access to:

-- gazillions of pounds worth of global marketing and publicity

-- a zillion pound worldwide digital distribution system

-- gigazillions of pounds worth of free technical advice

-- a captive audience of literally billions

HOW is this a good thing for a poor struggling musician trying to publicise his work?

2. Turtle

@ Psyx: You imagine incorrectly.

"I imagine that the major-label performers are doing fairly well, having had their label negotiate deals from a strong position. As usual, it's the guys who are already short of cash who will be getting hosed."

You imagine incorrectly. No performer is doing well at all from Spotify and other streaming services. The pay per stream, being particularly small fractions of a cent per stream is just too small, to the point where the number of plays per month to get a performer the equivalent of a living wage is quite unreachable.

As is usual on the internet, the only parties making any real money are the aggregators, which in this case would be the steaming services and the record companies.

5. MrGoggle

On the bright side...

On the bright side, it should force some of the artists/bands to go out there and play more live music for a change. It would also mean that people who will go into music industry is because they enjoy it rather than for money (nothing wrong if you worked for it and earned it by skill and determination).

6. Lamont Cranston

To be fair, home taping was a spectacular failure

at killing off the music business, so it's about time someone had another go.

1. ShadowedOne

Re: To be fair, home taping was a spectacular failure

I'm pretty sure the music industry has been trying to off itself the last several years...

7. Alan Brown Silver badge

What Spotify is driving home to artists

Is just how much the labels and rights orgs are ripping them off.

What they claim to pay is vastly at odds with what the rights orgs claim to be taking in, as a f'inctance and what spotify show as listener data is also vastly at odds with what rights orgs claim

(Short version: If you're an obscure writer you're lucky to get 50p/year and they refuse to write cheques for less thana fiver so you're shit out of luck. Spotify is showing that these obscure writers aren't so obscure after all AND how the rights orgs are pocketing 90% of what's paid to them as "internal expenses")

8. Wanda Lust

Spotify stakeholders

I've read that Spotify's stakeholders are primarily the big 4 record companies & its the least rewarding channel, for the artist, to have their music aired.

No surprise there then....

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Meh

Re: Spotify stakeholders

"I've read that Spotify's stakeholders are primarily the big 4 record companies & its the least rewarding channel, for the artist, to have their music aired."

Interesting.

And your reference?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like