back to article Nvidia, AMD tout 12GB GPUs for supers ... But ONE question remains

The battle of the big-memory GPU cards targeted at HPC and the data center is now well underway, with AMD having unveiled its FirePro S10000 12GB Edition card, and Nvidia announcing its 12GB Tesla K40 GPU accelerator card today. Nvidia Tesla K40 GPU card Nvidia Tesla K40 ... Double your pleasure, double your GDDR5 memory ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

The word "ceepie-geepie"

gives me the heebie jeebies. Please stop using it.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: The word "ceepie-geepie"

Anyone who programmed on Acorn RISC OS will know the syscall OS_GBPB.

Aka "OS heebie-jeebie"

riscosopen.org/wiki/documentation/show/OS_GBPB

C.

2. HighTech4US

You also forgot to mention that AMD launch is a paper one as the card won't be available until Q2 2014 whereas Nvidia card is a hard launch and is available now.

3. 1Rafayal

So, can it run Crysis?

1. stucs201

It'd probably be quite hard to play. I can't see any monitor ports on that card, so I suspect you may find you may die more frequently than usual.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes

As long as you are next to Sizewell B to power the card.

4. Paul J Turner

I must be missing something...

It's nice to see a 9% increase in peak SP and DP at the same 235W power, but given that the memory bandwidth has improved 15%, I don't see overwhelming evidence for an improvement in the actual processor.

Also why quote the bandwidth with ECC Off, is that how they are actually used?

Maybe with ECC On there is only a 9% bandwidth improvement?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like