back to article Oil execs, bankers: You'll need this 'bulletproof carbon-nanotube-built' BUSINESS SUIT

A Canadian tailoring house boasts it has developed a bulletproof business suit for risk-prone (or exceedingly unpopular) executives. Photo of the carbon nanotube suit from Garrison Bespoke Suit up ... the nanotube threads The firm, Garrison Bespoke, claims that its armored three-piece outfits will use a cutting-edge carbon …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eddy Ito

For the person who has everything. The only thing that goes with a McLaren 12C Spider, a beach house in Malibu and a price on your head is simply the ultimate in bespoke suits made from the finest bullet resistant carbon nanotubes.

2. Don Jefe

God, that is not a well fitting suit. It goes well with the guys haircut though.

It will be interesting to see how going 180 from traditional body armor works out. There's a really good reason that traditional body armor is equipped with a trauma plate, that's what stops the bullet from killing you even though it may not have put a hole in you. Bullets do not kill by holes alone. In a traditional body armor upper, the energy from a billet is dispersed across the 7"-10" rigid or semi-rigid trauma pack and greatly reduces the damage that would have occurred if the energy was concentrated in a small area.

Their choice of target market is also interesting. Rarely are executives targeted with sidearms, especially in high tension areas like the Middle Easy or parts of South America. The bad guys in those countries use high powered rifles that will pass through your $20,000 ugly suit like it wasn't there.

And since I'm in a negative mood, $20,000 is insanely expensive. A weeks worth of suits will set you back $120k? That's simply not a good spend. When we travel to rough places it costs us $4k/week per guard and they've got guns to shoot back with as well as crowd control equipment and evasion skills. These suits can't do any of that and are certain to be higher maintenance than a professional security agent. Plus you can't hang out and chat with your suit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

God, that is not a well fitting suit. It goes well with the guys haircut though.

Haha - the ill fit was the first thing I noticed as well.

My second thought was a question: if this is knife proof, how do they cut it? Or can you still get hurt when someone runs with scissors? It's a good thing they stop that sort of threat at an early age :)

I know there is another outfit that has been doing this sort of clothes for years, but that owner takes a more direct approach to staff education: he shoots at them once they have donned the clothes. What is interesting is that the fashion stuff no longer shows on the website..

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

" if this is knife proof, how do they cut it?"

Shear properties of material != Penetration properties of material

2. Hud Dunlap
        Happy

@AC 8:01 Thanks for the link

Very interesting. Their product will also stop 9mm's. Stopping .22's and .40's is almost useless.

As for the price though check out the price of a good Wall Street level suit. I don't think it is that far off.

1. Don Jefe

Re: @AC 8:01 Thanks for the link

Unless you're getting suits made from panda fur or Human skin spending much over $5k for one is rare. Once you cross that line it is very obvious you've paid for flash, and that completely defeats the purpose of the suit, especially with business folk: If you stand out you look like a clown. Granted, accessories will run the total outfit price up, but those aren't calculated as part of the price of the suit.

2. J. Cook Silver badge
      Boffin

@Don Jefe:

Yeah, 20 grand for what equates to something not much better then type I armor? no deal. Most kevlar vests are type IIIA and will stop pistol rounds, but not rifle rounds. An exec wearing this suit would still need type III armor on underneath, and even then, it's only limited protection. One also has to wonder if the suits have an expiration date similar to the shelf life that the vests have as well.

Amusing links for everyone's reading pleasure:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot16.htm informal ammo penetration testing against IIIA rated armor

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot57.htm the same, but against something the local military or SWAT unit might be wearing (type III plates in a standard plate carrier)

3. Old Handle

"if this is knife proof, how do they cut it?"

Why do you think it doesn't fit?

4. Vociferous

It's bling for image-conscious rappers. I expect to see this suit on Jay-Z. In fact, I've already seen photos of him wearing something looking suspiciously similar.

3. Don Jefe

They should have gone with Beshot as the name.

4. Brian Miller

Pictures!

Pictures from the firing range! It's a three-piece suit, with the vest part being the ballistic vest.

However, there wasn't a video of someone wearing the suit when it was shot. From the looks of the lining, someone wearing that may not have a bullet going through them, but may still have a bullet going into them.

Search for "Bulletproof Vest Test Goes Wrong" and take a look at what happens when someone gets shot with a 9mm when wearing a conventional vest.

5. Clive Harris
    Coat

The Man in the White Suit

If it's white, slightly radioactive and the cloth has to be cut with an oxy-acetylene torch then Alec Guinness has beaten them to it. See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044876/

Seem to remember it had the slight disadvantage that it "destabilised" after a few weeks.

(Careful, the coat's radioactive)

6. Schultz
    Paris Hilton

Fashion statement

This surely is about fashion and not about security. And people are willing to suffer for fashion, so a plastic-lined jacket might succeed if advertised properly (BTW, good job, Shaun Nichols).

Concerning the Pictures from the firing range, is that a stainless-steel torso wearing the suit? Talk about bullet-proof!

7. F111F
    Joke

I See...

a future Mythbusters episode.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

g force

It won't stop you being thrown out of the window but might become a useful body-bag.

9. Paul Dx
    Thumb Down

Design flaw ?

What about area in the middle of the chest not covered by the suit ?

1. El Presidente

Re: Design flaw ?

Diamond carbon tie, obv.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is why...

But the wearer is buying this to feel invincible. He's not going to ask for his money back if it doesn't work.

So the more-money-than-sense exec is happy. Assassins everywhere are happy. Candian tailors are happy. Bodyguards and makers of real armour are happy that their market isn't been taken away.

How often do you see such a universal win situation, where everybody's happy?

11. Wize

Headshot FTW

12. busycoder99
    Gimp

They can still get shot

in the face.

1. Don Jefe

Re: They can still get shot

Unlike in the movies, shooting someone in the leg is often fatal or at least results in amputations. Arm shots generally aren't fatal, but do often result in amputations. Shooting someone in the ankle, even with a smaller caliber sidearm, will often take their foot off, or at least leave it hanging by shreds of skin. Look at wounded vets, since land mines went out of fashion most of them lose a limb from small arms fire, not explosions.

I can understand why that wouldn't be much fun in movies or video games though. If the antagonist or the level boss (do games still have those?) was defeated when the hero shot him in the ankle with a $75 .38 it would be rather anticlimactic.

The point is you don't have to aim for the head, you stand a better chance of hitting someone else. Aiming for the ankle at least provides the possibility of a badass ricochet into the nuts if you miss. If you hit your target he's as good as dead anyway as you can continue shooting him while he looks for his foot.

1. Clive Harris
        FAIL

Re: They can still get shot... like Ned Kelly

All Australians know the story of Ned Kelly and his gang. After murdering a policeman, they holed up in his mother's house, where they took several days making their iconic suits of armour out of old boiler panels, while the police waited for them outside. When they emerged with guns blazing, the police waited till they could get a clear view and then shot them all in the feet, before dragging them off to the gallows.

Such is life! (Supposedly Ned Kelly's last words)

PS. How about adding a Ned Kelly icon

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Look at wounded vets, since land mines went out of fashion most of them lose a limb from small arms fire, not explosions."

I'd have guessed most vets lose an arm if a cow bolts when they're reaching up the cow's pooper.

3. Vociferous

@don jefe: Where do you get this information? Because it's not particularly similar to what I've heard.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seen a situation where this would have saved a life

I used to work for Omni Consumer Products (OCP), and was in a board meeting when they were demoing a new security system. Unfortunately the new security system didn’t hear the exec who was pretending to be the offender drop his firearm, so it shot him. If only he had been wearing this suit.

Dick Jones.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Suit price is a bit high - how much just for some underpants and a vest made from this material?

This topic is closed for new posts.