back to article The Colosseum, Hagia Sophia, Tower of London... and, er, Steve Jobs' GARAGE

The house where Steve Jobs built his first computers has been added to a list of historic buildings in Los Altos. The Los Altos Historical Commission voted unanimously to add the home at 2066 Crist Drive as a historic resources, since its hallowed garage was where Jobs made his first computers and co-founded Apple, the San …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Cough

Steve Jobs built Apple 1 .......with the help of Steve Wozniak

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Cough

"Steve Jobs built the first hundred Apple 1 computers at the house, with the help of Patricia and Steve Wozniak."

More like the other way round. Wozniak was the engineer, not Jobs.

So that should read: "Steve WOZNIAK built the first hundred Apple 1 computers at the house, with the help of Patricia and Steve Jobs."

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Cough

I assumed the only person who didn't think this was ironic - would have been Jobs himself

But apparently not !

2. raving angry loony

Amusing

Here were were just discussing how west-European settlers in North America had barely any history and were desperate to declare anything "history", and then there's this "news".

The significance of Steve Jobs, and whether he has any or not, will like all history be decided by future generations. Not by people who were alive in the same time period. The desperation of North Americans (Canadian and American) to declare something "historical" when it's not even old enough to draw a pension is laughable.

1. Lars Silver badge

Re: Amusing

Sorry, but are you not a bit unfair, loony, how long do you think one garage will remain for "future generations" to decide about. As for Jobs, and to be fair, would we not need some of "them" in Europe too.

2. disgruntled yank

Re: Amusing

There is the old jape my father used to quote, ca. 1960:

Arizona guide: This is one of the oldest buildings in the state, folks. It's over a hundred years old, just think of it.

Murmur from the back of the crowd: I can't wait to get back to Damascus and tell them about it.

However, Iet's face it, Herodotus wrote his histories pretty near to the time of the events covered, and Xenophon and Thucydides nearer still, so great age is not a prerequisite for something to be called historical.

1. Nuke
        Joke

disgruntled yank Bronze badge - Re: Amusing

Wrote :- "my father used to quote, ca. 1960: Arizona guide: This is one of the oldest buildings in the state, folks. It's over a hundred years old"

So a hundred and fifty now then. Can't laugh at that.

3. Nuke
      Facepalm

@raving angry loony - Re: Amusing

Wrote :- "The significance of Steve Jobs ... will like all history be decided by future generations. Not by people who were alive in the same time period.... to declare something "historical" when it's not even old enough to draw a pension is laughable."

Yes, future generations will decide it. But it is essential for the contemporaneous generation to preserve things which are likely to become historic otherwise they may not survive for those future generations to be able to make the decision.

The UK is particularly bad at this - did not preserve a single battleship built since HMS Warrior of 1860 - nothing from WWI/II. The USA preserved several of theirs. If only .......

My comment is nothing to do with whether I consider Job's garage is even a likely choice.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: @raving angry loony - Amusing

The UK is particularly bad at this - did not preserve a single battleship built since HMS Warrior of 1860 - nothing from WWI/II

I know that HMS Belfast is not technically a "battleship" but she is amazing.

2. knarf

Re: @raving angry loony - Amusing

What about HMS Belfast in London

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Belfast_(C35)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is no god but Apple and Steve Jobs is his messenger.

And a true Fanboi should at least once in his life do a holy pilgrimage to Los Altos, circling 5 times around the holy garage while chanting "just one more thing" with Siri and finally bow in awe in front of the original holy Dos3.3. floppy disk where the word of Job was first given (err... sold) to the masses.

All pilgrimages organised by iBelieve, a TimCook Travel company - exclusively on the Apple Store,

Mmmm - personality cult - Now that's a great idea to boost profit!

1. tony2heads
      Coat

Re: There is no god but Apple and Steve Jobs is his messenger.

Circling 5 times clockwise!

Then the true believer might be allowed to pay for a holy relic - perhaps even a MOStek 6502

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: There is no god but Apple and Steve Jobs is his messenger.

'Splitter!'

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Big Brother

Find the odd thing out

The Colosseum: Built by govnm't on taxpayers' expense to amuse and awe them

Hagia Sophia: Built by govnm't on taxpayers' expense to control and awe them

Tower of London: Built by govnm't on taxpayers' expense as its cozy home and torture cellar

Steve Jobs' Garage: Generates taxpayers' expense and actual things people want!

1. T. F. M. Reader

Re: Find the odd thing out

The Colosseum was actually funded by the looted treasures of the Temple of Jerusalem. And the Tower of London was initially built by William the Conqueror after Hastings (aside: it was never a cosy home - not nearly as comfortable as the main Royal residences). So, based on this sample, the prevailing source of funds seems to be spoils of war rather than taxes... ;-)

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Of course, of course. But the "spoils of war" are even worse. Like GWB's self-financing Iraq war.

1. Great Bu

Steve Jobs' Garage: Would have paid for it with tax payer money but can't afford to as tax take is much lower than expected due to massive avoision by major multinational fruit-based phone resellers........

2. Stretch

"built with the money he should have been giving to his illegitimate children" fixed that for you.

Someone burn the place down would they?

Big Brother

Collectivism and state-worship is a bit strong in this thread.

I think it's time you all started to think about meeting the next 5-year plan's goals because Mr. Mosley will be reactivated SOON the way things are going.

3. BongoJoe
      Headmaster

The Tower didn't have any 'torture cellar'. Any forms of persuation of mechanical means were done in the imates own room.

No doubt for early Health and Safety reasons.

5. Sir Barry

Seriously?

Steve was a bloke that started a business.

As I said, seriously?

Paris Hilton

So what's wrong about that?

1. Sir Barry

Personally, I don't think it warrants historical status, I'm neutral regarding Apple, but I just think this is silly.

2. Thomas 4

I know right?

Someone should contact the makers of Civilization V and tell them they missed a world wonder from the latest expansion pack - some guy's garage.

Maybe it can give a bonus to Faith generation.

3. Tchou
      Happy

- Hooo !!! Look Jenny !! This dump is where Walmart started!

- You're so charming Bob!!

6. Fihart

wrong address ?

"2066 Crist Drive" Christ Drive, surely.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ridiculous

I have commented before on this lunacy elsewhere. This is plain absurd. The guy was NOT a god, nor was he some sort of real innovator, selling grossly over-priced pretty products to con. the public. Plainly, he was a ruthless man (just like the company) and all this adulation makes me think that people have had their collective brains surgically removed.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Flip

Re: Ridiculous

Capitalism is a religion in the US. Some may consider Jobs to be somewhat god-like.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Ridiculous

"Capitalism is a religion in the US. Some may consider Jobs to be somewhat god-like."

Him and Saint Reagan. (he of the holy supply side economics and self righteous free markets**)

**better known as "voodoo" economics

8. returnmyjedi

Having visited Los Angeles I can see why a garage would be seen historically insignificant.

9. Scoular

On the other hand if they do not preserve it now it will never get to be historic because it will get replaced by something newer. The English may love to live in medieval cow sheds but Californians appear not to. I am neither, just a neutral observer.

1. auburnman
      Trollface

Garages are notorious for being unwanted and will be completely obsolete as soon as the motorcar is phased out which can't be far away now. first on a new buyer's "knock down and replace" list.

1. wikkity

completely obsolete

You mean people use garages to keep cars in? I thought they where built to keep junk in.

10. Robert Grant

Steve Wozniak built them

Steve Jobs didn't. Seriously, El Reg. He was a very good product designer, possibly one of the best ever. End of.

1. Tchou

Re: Steve Wozniak built them

The first Apple computers had no design at all, it was a wood casing. Square. Filled with components.

At first Apple sold the computers as a kit, the buyer would assemble the computer.

So... No, Steve wasn't even a designer.

He was a marketing guy, a liar. A good one maybe, even for a canary, but a liar.

11. khisanth

This is a fanboi thing plain and simple. Sure its cool etc, I am a huge Apple fan myself, but what about the rest of the world who don't care about Apple, let alone some nondescript garage in California!

1. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

"This is a fanboi thing plain and simple" Yes it is, so what.

"what about the rest of the world who don't care". so what.

I don't give a shit about his garage, is there something I have missed, does this need taxpayer money. If so then skip it and let Apple conserve it at the center of the doughnut.

12. druck Silver badge
    Angel

From little Acorns

I hope 4a Market Hill in Cambridge is going to be treated in the same way.

1. Kubla Cant

Re: From little Acorns

I think the competition for historic building status is a bit stronger in Cambridge than in Los Altos.

1. Lars Silver badge
        Coat

Re: From little Acorns

I would assume the opposite. Hats and coats.

13. Scott Holland
    FAIL

She better appeal this while she can

If she lets it go, she'll discover that if she wants to so much as give the place a new paint job she'll need to get permission from the city first. And they're likely to say no.

I don't know if she's living there or not. But, if she is, she should force them to pay her full market price for the place, plus a premium for the hassle. Given real estate prices in California, I doubt they could justify the expense. If they're not willing to buy it from her, they've got no business assuming some level of control over it by declaring it "historical".

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: She better appeal this while she can

She will be lucky to get anything.

The current trend in the US is for gov at every level to declare eminent domain, pay a pittance of the worth, if anything at all, and then hand the property over to the preferred real estate developer or corporate retailer of the day.

The Supreme Court has declared this entirely legal.

14. No, I will not fix your computer

Meanwhile in the UK.....

Bletchley Park one of the most important (all due respect to Steve, but actually important) sites in the 20th century, left to rot for years, treated indifferently at best, only one block (Block C) finally getting grade 2 status (last year), no funds from the government, all charity.

Sigh.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like