back to article Cerberus circles BlackBerry as Canucks warn of more losses

Sources say a second firm is contemplating a bid to buy BlackBerry, even as the spavined smartphone vendor warned Wall Street on Wednesday of further woes to come. Cerberus Capital Management is looking to sign a nondisclosure agreement that would give it full access to BlackBerry's books, The Wall Street Journal reports, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG

It's like watching an alcoholic drink themselves to death.

Not comfortable viewing at all.

2. AMB-York Silver badge

Sad farewell

Sad to hand back my Blackberry Bold today. Major problems with BESx with Exchange 2013, started due to being domain admin with email account (I know you're not supposed), took myself out of the group, but still failing for the one account. Tried using IMAP etc with BIS, but never seems to sync back to Outlook properly. I just don't have the time or skills to fix this.

I'd love to go for a Q10, but with O2 offering me a Nokia 520 at £60, how could I refuse? Got a red one, so hopefully my wife will like it too, then I can get rid of BESx once and for all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sad farewell

"I just don't have the time or skills to fix this."

I do. ~ £600 a day if you want a more permanent arrangement....Here is one for free:

Remove your personal account from Domain Admin, go to 'Active Directory Users and Computers' using a Domain admin account, under the 'View' menu, select 'Advanced Features', then find your personal account in ADUC, then select 'Properties' then select the 'Security' tab. Tick the box that says 'Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent', then click OK.

That will restore your account to normal operation....

1. AMB-York Silver badge

Re: Sad farewell

I'm way ahead of you there - took the account as right at the start, otherwise BES can't claim 'Send As' permissions. It's something more than that - the server would work for a week or so, then stop. Recreating my account in BESx would make it work for another week or so.

3. MJI Silver badge

I Hope

The Illusive Man is a Blackberry fan.

4. Anonymous Coward 101

Probably just buying to get hold of the IP. The phone division will be thrown away.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Probably just buying to get hold of the IP"

No, this is the notoriously secretive Cerberus. Buyers of last resort, and scavengers, and they're after the still fairly strong balance sheet. The IP will be sold on, but it's Blackberry's cash and investments, saleable fixed assets, plus the residual service payments that make this worth the while.

You're right that the handset business will be thrown in the bin, unless they can find a rich mug willing to buy it. HP might fit the bill.

1. MarleysGhost

WomenAndChldrenFirst

Ledswinger - sadly I agree. Unfortunately if you are willing to be ruthless and Cerberus are not exactly known as kitten huggers. Buy it. Sell the IP immediately. Sell QNX as a going concern. Ditto Certicom. Ditch all hardware and software development ,maybe spin it off to a Chinese manufacturer. Strip Sales, Mkt, HR, Legal, everything but network support and ops down to the barest bones. Sell the huge property portfolio. Oh yea - Sell the jet!

Then just gracefully run down the network till the service fee revenue dwindles too low. Guess that would be 3-4 years. The only glitch is the poor employees. Bad enough with Fairfax about half of them lose their jobs. Guess with Cerberus it could be much much hjgher than that?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Most of those [$400m] future charges, it explained, would be related to its Cost Optimization and Resource Efficiency (CORE) program..."

You know you're having a bad day when you find out it'll cost you half a billion dollars to save money...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like