back to article PayPal lets Brit 'burb-dwellers buy stuff using their ugly mug

PayPal has launched a trial of a new payment system which will allow British shoppers to buy stuff using just their face and their pocket fondleslab. The virtual purse provider has allowed retailers based near its headquarters in teh swish suburb of Richmond Upon Thames, London, to sell stuff to customers using just the PayPal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Danny 14

Assuming you have an excellent gps lock. I doubt it will work in tightly packed shopping centres

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. andreas koch
    Holmes

Good thing

that most of the test venues are "artisan"-style outlets. They don't have to worry that they might have to look at ugly people.

Now, really: Does it have a function that automatically posts on Twitter and Facebook? Something like:" Joe Tweet just bought 2 skinny soy frappuccino (frappuccini??) for himself and Sue at Jenny's Lovebird Café."

Nasty, if your current bonkee's name is Ellen.

Mind you, by 2015 it'll be law that, if Sue looks as if she might be under 25, camera footage of the purchase will be automatically sent for auditing by the IWF, mumsnet and Claire Perry. Sue could be underage, you pervert. Or your daughter, you incestuous pervert.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: auditing by the IWF

Why, is Sue a weightlifter, and you're checking for her membership of the international weightlifters federation? does a frappucino contain illegal substances and will Sue get a drugs ban?

1. andreas koch
        Happy

@ AC 0907h GMT - Re: auditing by the IWF

Internet Watch Foundation. But you knew that, didn't you.

Trollfeeding done for today.

Have a nice weekend, all!

4. MJI Silver badge

Too much hassle - I will stick with my Paypal debit card.

Before you knock it, try doing Ebay without Paypal.

1. h3

I don't trust Paypal. I use them for dirt cheap direct from HK not interested in the same thing for a markup from a UK seller. (If it is more expensive I pay the little bit extra to use amazon.co.uk that most of the legit ebay sellers are on. Getting worse though amazon seems to be letting more of the scammers on there).

1. MJI Silver badge

I am wary of them. But they helped me.

But I always have a balance.

£20 with £2 fees approx is still better than receiving nothing.

Just need to price your sales to cover Ebay and Paypal

I find them expensive in fees but reasonable in disputes (idiot customer).

The idiot bought by mistake, so I cancelled transaction to get my final value fees back, she said no leaving me with fees, then she tried to claim back the whole amount from paypal (including the fees I would have to pay), I called paypal, they rejected her claim.

She was shocked, a month later I refunded -20p for the unrefundable paypay fee, the final value fee for Ebay (over a pound) and a little extra due to paypal calculations, I was not out of pocket, or in pocket, she lost nearly £2 just by being arsy.

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge

So I can pay by paypal

Which lacks sufficient funds...

Which requires me to use a credit/debit card to top it up...

Which I could have used in the first place?

Seriously, what's the bloody point? If I have the cash in the bank, why would I keep that in Paypal instead?

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Meh

Re: So I can pay by paypal

I suspect the situation and/or user they are targeting is the sort of person who carries a mobile, but not a wallet/purse/credit/debit card.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
        Coat

I suspect the situation and/or user they are targeting is the sort of person who carries a mobile, but not a wallet/purse/credit/debit card.

But don't those people usually have secret service security people all around them, to pay for stuff?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

... top it up with credit/debit card AND pay them a percentage. Sounds like a minority interest sport

3. MJI Silver badge

I keep getting people paypal me money and using the card is an easy way of using it, Gives me a second bank account in a way as I can use it funds permitting even if my main account is OD.

Some of these little Ebay and web based part time things can get you a few hundred a month!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ Neil Barnes: "top up"?

What are you talking about? I have never needed to "top up" Paypal. It's just safer for some things to pay in a way that does not require you to give sensitive personal information to an unknown/untrusted party.

Also I can remember my PayPal password but if I want to use a card I would have to find my wallet / take it out of my pocket and fiddle about which would take a lot longer.

The article does not mention the use of any kind of payment card. In fact it is specifically advocating that this 'face-pay' would help for those people who are absent-minded enough to leave the house without taking their wallet and cards with them.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's no fucking way I'm giving them my ugly mug

Some vicious fucker could behead me, put my head on a stick and use it to buy stuff!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll choose cash any day.

Its worked for years and doesn't need changing for changing sake.

Just because you can do something with tech doesn't mean we must!

9. Maharg

Hannibal Lecter

It’s a bit worrying that the first thing I thought of was Anthony Hopkins peeling off someone’s face and using it as a mask to escape from the Police, if they do a remake of the film he can stop off during his escape and raid the guys paypal account as well…

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What an excellent way to collect biometrics

I like this one, such and in-your-face (sorry) attempt at collecting biometric data from other countries. Impressive scam, actually. Not quite as subtle as Siri which delivers a clean, digitised voiceprint of known users or Facebook's facial tagging, but clever insofar that it pretends to be useful.

Hats off!

11. Shaha Alam
    Facepalm

here i was worrying someone would cut off my finger...

... to cheat finger print scanners.

then i worried about someone popping out my eyeballs to fool retina scanners.

now i gotta worry about someone cutting off my face to fool the coffee shop staff in Richmond.

less Hollywood for me, i think.

12. Mike Flugennock
    FAIL

PayPal + facial recognition =

FAIL. Big, bold, brassy, sassy, wet, hot, sloppy massive FAIL.

A known haven for scams, infamous for jerking peoples' money around, using facial scans to gather biometric data... uhh, verify payments? What could possibly go wrong.

I regret I can only post one icon here. Assume this icon is also accompanied by the coffee-spattered keyboard icon.

13. Kaltern
    Facepalm

Is it just me,

.. or wouldn't a photo of the person suffice?

Not exactly security now is it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it just me,

Are you stupid?

Do you think that a cashier is going to look at you holding a piece of paper in front of your face and be convinced that it is your real face?

That doesn't even work to unlock my phone. Strangely I think real people in a face-to-face exchange are going to be difficult to fool.

14. david 12 Silver badge

Check Photo, carry phone

We had a credit card prosecution here in Sydney where the the offender had already done 18 transactions on a stolen credit card before a sales clerk noticed that the credit card had an ethnic Chinese name and signature.

Do you honestly think staff are going to look at a photo and reject a person because "you don't look very much like your photograph"?

So it seems like a slightly weak idea. An although I have forgotton my phone or my wallet, I've never busted my wallet by dropping it or sitting on it.

Of course, a business can make cash transactions much faster than they are today, simply by offering items at a price that doesn't require small change. Due to inflation, 5c or 5p is a much smaller amount ot money than it used to be. We didn't use to get a cup of tea at 5.95p, why should a cup of coffee cost $5.95 ?

This topic is closed for new posts.