back to article Citrix weaves together XenClient hypervisor and XenDesktop VDI stack

IT shops that are worried about security – think healthcare, government, and financial services – still want to have a hypervisor on their PC clients. This makes it easier to isolate malware and control what users have on their machines, particularly if that PC hypervisor is linked to and coordinating with a virtual desktop …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Knox
    Thumb Down

Personal vDisk

We tried it; I was the guinea pig.

Every time we had to install Windows updates on the master image, my personal vDisk broke, and it took an act of $DEITY to get it working again.

The last time it happened was just before the Citrix conference, so our guy took the details with him. Turns out he knows more about how Personal vDisk works than their experts, as they didn't even know of the solutions we had used successfully in the past. They had absolutely no answers.

It still hasn't been fixed. I've moved on. We may reconsider if they get their act together.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Personal vDisk

IMHO, I think Citrix are busy chasing after VMware, who have such a VDI and general virtualisation lead that they have romped away over the horizon, whilst trying not to notice the M$ Hyper-V juggernaut closing from behind.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's a shame too - Citrix with their Presentation Server stuff used to be awesome back in the day. Now they've let it languish in favour of the whatever happens to be the XenXXXXX flavour of the day..

2. kstew

On the server virtualization front your right (especially if you ignore the highly touted xen cloud, and only focus on xen server itself) . When it comes to end user virtualization, and being able to manage it you can't be more wrong.

If you look at the mac platform: Citrix DesktopPlayer allows for a centrally managed and distributed image. I'd rather have that then copying over ovf files and running through tools like JAMF and then SCCM for the windows vm, that may not be started very often.

I haven't seen any products that are comparable to XenClient. With VMware mirage or microsoft hyper-v, I can't have multiple images unless I run windows on top of a hypervisor running on windows.

If you don't believe me, look at the analyst reports from Gartner, IDC, etc, Citrix is always shown as the leader.

2. VishalGaneriwala

I understand some of you have had bad experience with XenDesktop personal vDisk but I also know several customers happy with the technology and using it in production. We invested lot of time and effort in integrating XenApp and XenDesktop to make operations and infrastructure simple for customers. With XenDesktop 7 you can now deliver Apps, session based desktops and hosted virtual desktops all using a single platform.

Here are few blogs and tweets from industry experts praising the product

http://t.co/0TZ1sKwpid

http://t.co/SpAlhxKqxG

https://twitter.com/andyjmorgan/statuses/356811155240529922

Full Disclosure : I work for Citrix. I will be happy to assist anyone of you on any Citrix problems you seem to have.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like