back to article The Old Reader drops Google refugee eviction plan

The Old Reader, the RSS reader that drowned in new users after Google switched off its own RSS reader and then decided to boot out those refugees, has reversed its position and will continue to operate as a public service. In a blog post someone called “Ben Wolf” wrote “The application now has a bigger team, significantly more …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

surprised Yahoo didn't step in....

2. ratfox

All is well that ends well?

Capitalism in action, working properly for once it seems…

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Remember if you cannot figure out what product the company provides..

You are the product.

And servers in US.

Enjoy your privacy.

1. frank ly

Re: Remember if you cannot figure out what product the company provides..

If a 'simple' RSS reader started pushing adverts at me, I'd easily move to one that didn't. My subscriptions to The Independent, The Register, New Scientist, Dilbert, Girl Genius and xkcd won't cause me to become an international terrorist suspect (I'm making an assumtion here, of course) or any kind of 'person of interest'. If I did want to read 'dodgy' websites, I wouldn't do it via an RSS subscription.

4. Dazzz

Too late

Too late, I moved to Feedly, I also cancelled my old reader account as they asked people to do.

1. Sir Crispalot
      Thumb Up

Re: Feedly

Feedly + gReader seems to be a good solution. I hated Feedly at first, but since they simplified the web UI for us Google Reader refugees, it is spot on.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Too late

Yup. Also moved to Feedly (having found the interface to be better than I remember on first investigation) and upgraded to Feedly Pro. Tiny Tiny RSS got a look in but API issues have prevented support in apps like gReader so it got ditched rather quickly.

I'd probably still be on The Old Reader if they hadn't made such an absolute statement of cutoff with a short deadline. The latter likely caused a lot more people to jump that might otherwise have hung on in case of just this situation.

5. tentimes

Is it Google reader under a different name?

I'm confused.

6. xperroni

Hah hah, too late

Well, I guess I'm relieved I won't need to tell my wife she'll have to switch RSS readers once again.

But myself, I'm past bothering with them people and their "cute cats" outage pages.

Good riddance YeOldeTitsup, too bad we met in the first place.

7. Doozerboy

I've moved to Feedbin. with Reeder as my client of choice for the iPhone.

Happy to pay $20 a year for an extremely solid and quick API, and for the owners to not share my data with anyone else (Apart from the feds that is)

This topic is closed for new posts.