back to article It's alive! Shared-nothing migration puts the spark into Hyper-V

Shared-nothing live migration may be the most exciting feature to emerge from Microsoft's Hyper-V 3 virtualisation push. Shared-nothing migration is the ability to move a virtual machine from one virtual host to the another where those hosts lack mutual access to centralised storage. The "live" part means the virtual machine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom from the States

Don't forget pricing for System Center 2012

I have seen beautifully detailed comparisons for vSphere 5.1 vs. Hyper-V 2012 that compare features in vSphere 5.1 with those enclosed in System Center 2012 but somehow forget to include the cost of System Center 2012 when it comes down to comparing apples to apples. Without SC 2012, you need to be a PowerShell wizard and rely on your scripting. I applaud Microsoft for forcing VMware to included shared-nothing live migration with ESX 5.1, but you must include the cost of SC 2012 in any sane comparison.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Don't forget pricing for System Center 2012

Competition = good, and it's good that VMware finally have some competition here as they've been overcharging a locked-in customer base for years.

You're right on the management tools too - but the cost of VMware's tools are about equal to those of a SC 2012 license.

2. Joe Montana

KVM

The KVM hypervisor has had the ability to do live storage migration for quite some time...

1. Richard 26

Re: KVM

...and it stopped being a premium feature in the Citrix-branded Xen as of yesterday's announcement.

3. Mr Anonymous

That's not high availability

What happens with a fatal node crash, how do you migrate when you can't get at the VM image?

It's a slow method of keeping your VMs up when you have to do monthly windows updates on the nodes, except, of course, your VMs will need to be downed for updates too.

4. Vince

"What happens with a fatal node crash, how do you migrate when you can't get at the VM image?"

You would of course have already enabled replication, so you can fire up the VM on another host - and if you were smart you'd have configured it to replicate with multiple replication points so you can quickly roll back if you needed to - obviously the circumstances and role of the system may influence this, and it does require a little intervention, but it's a perfectly acceptable trade off in many scenarios.

From Server 2012 R2 you'll also have triple replication capability - something I'm looking forward to.

Hyper-V is really very good when you consider it comes with the main OS - although I think it's a little unfair to suggest it's "free" simply because the cost of Server 2012 went up, and they removed the base 5 CALs from the package, so there is a cost, even if it's a bit more stealthy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like