back to article US State Department coughs up $630k for Facebook Likes

US State Department apparatchiks spent a whopping $630,000 in a bid to make millions of new Facebook friends on the say-so of a manager who left staff terrified of the sack if they challenged her, according to a recent report. The department's Bureau of International Information Program (IIP) spent the cash trying to persuade …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dogged

She was slammed for failing to create a happy workplace by fuelling fears of cronyism, failing to engage with staff and leaving some meek souls too scared of dismissal to offer dissenting opinions.

Sounds like a perfect candidate for HP.

1. Gil Grissum
      FAIL

I couldn't have put that better myself. No wonder HP just won the Navy Network management contract. They speak the same language as the government. Mismanagement on a biblical scale.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@dogged...She was slammed for failing

Would it be libellous to upvote this post?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If they give me $630 K I will be their friend on Facebook. I am not proud and obviously they need friendship.

2. noboard
    Trollface

Hold on a minute

This article gives the impression a facebook like is a meaningless piece of crap and people that spends lots of money chasing them will get just the same affect from wiping their arse with the money and flushing it down the toilet.

A reasoned argument in a Reg article, it's been a while.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Headmaster

Just for the record : you get an effect from something that affects you.

Effect / Affect ; They're / Their ; Your / You're ; its / it's - same combat.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

You can also can try to effect a change, though it mightn't have the effect you wanted. If it doesn't work, you might affect an air of not caring. Of course, some might say that being on Facebook is all about affect[ation] anyway.

3. Frankee Llonnygog

Attributed to John Wanamaker: "Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is I don't know which half."

Facebook? Make that 98%.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, America

The planet's richest third-world nation

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Ah, America

POTD

5. Khaptain Silver badge

Two words spring to mind

The "Average Amercian" + Gullibility

OK Average American is two words but can easilly be recognized for what it is.

Gullibility is a failure of social intelligence in which a person is easily tricked or manipulated into an ill-advised course of action. ( Wikipedia).

PS : I lived for more than year in the States, I am not insulting Amercians, I am just stating a fact that I personally observed whilst there.

1. ecofeco Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Two words spring to mind

There are many Americans who would agree with you.

Unfortunately, we are not the majority.

6. ForthIsNotDead

Well...

...for those idiots that refuse to belive that FB is nothing more than a huge government intelligence drag-net and propaganda machine - show them this article.

7. rcorrect
    Big Brother

2 millions Facebook likes today...

...and the hearts and minds of the world tomorrow! YEAH!

8. Dan Paul

Sue the dimwit for fiduciary mismanagment, or bust her on Grand Larceny charges!

How about we get a lien against this dimwitted clown and her whole department for stealing/ wasting $630,000 of our tax money?

Are you frikkin kidding me that someone is a llowed to spend $630,000 on "Farcebook" likes???????

Stealing anything more than $1,200 stolen is Grand Larceny, a felony that would prevent her and her cronies from holding elected or appointed office, or voting for that matter.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: Sue the dimwit for fiduciary mismanagment, or bust her on Grand Larceny charges!

Crazy isn't it.

For the record she would likely also be excluded from access to public housing and some other benefits if convicted. This really does need to go to trial. People cannot waste taxes without there being any recourse. The Hawaii super ferry was a prime example. At least that served a tangible purpose even if it was done in the worst manner possible. The problem is we have virtually no recourse.

9. shawnfromnh

Blocking

Besides for investigative purposed I don't see why like a business Facebook, other social sites, and basically any site that has no purpose for investigation is even accessible through the government networks.

No business I've worked for even allows access since it lowers productivity across the board.

Idea, find out how many hours were spent surfing facebook and other internet websites over the past year not directly used for information or surveillance in an investigation. Then divide by 40, then lay off that many people starting with the biggest offenders of surfing while working. It seems this many at least manhours were wasted so they are obviously overstaffed by that many people. Finally do not try to replace these people but lower the overall workforce permanently to save tax dollars since if there is such a lack of work or actual hours needed to do work we need to drop the excess workforce just like private industry would do in a heartbeat.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Blocking

In most government departments allowing the staff access to anything OTHER than facebook would lower productivity across the nation

The safest thing to do with all government employees, and especially military/security services - is to sit them at a desk with facebook/angry birds/tetris to distract them.

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: Blocking

I agree, although using them for a real life game of angry birds has potential. I'll get started on the 15 ft tall slingshot if you can round up some uncivil servants. Bonus points for getting them in the volcano.

10. Herby

Friends in high places?

Maybe our state department needs more of these!

Is there a Facebook for "Leaders of the World"?

It might be interesting to see, and all the 'friends' they have (past and present)?

1. Florida1920
      Angel

Re: Friends in high places?

South American presidents are un-friending Obama and a bunch of subservient European countries. The Web giveth and the Web taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Web.

11. Dan Paul

RE: Rampant Spaniel Crazy Isn't it....

Unfortunately, she probably has some "unequal opportunity" clause that keeps her and her cronies in power regardless of how bad she performs. Not trying be discriminatory but in Public Disservice that's the likely reason WHY she rose to that position in any case. The Peter Principle was created for Govt.

I completely agree with the statements about blocking Farcebook but I know there is blocking in many other US Govt agencies, likely that she told the manager of the IT dept "I NEED social media access" (the deathknell of IT dept security)

How about "High Friends in Low Places"? Rather than FarceBook, the Leaders of the World deserve "Mugshots Online"!!!!!

12. shawnfromnh

wrong title

US taxpayer cough up more money for State Department bullshit. They should fire this person and take money out of their personal funds since it shouldn't be the taxpayer footing the bill for workspace misbehavior.

13. Ace Rimmer

"Just two per cent of the total number of friends for each of the IIP's four major Facebook sites bothered to engage with the material they produced"

And most of that 2 per cent was probably journalists and activists.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like