MPA gets court order to block UK access to 2kmovies and download4all

This topic was created by Mark Eaton-Park .

1. Mark Eaton-Park

MPA gets court order to block UK access to 2kmovies and download4all

See

http://www.t3.com/news/movie2k-and-download4all-sites-blocked-in-the-uk

I am surprised that thereg didn't have their own coverage but I am interested in how the MPA managed to get a court order when no UK law was broken.

As far as I can see, movies2k for example is just another site that hosts external links to content that the MPA is wasting money trying to hide.

My understanding of UK law from the recent ruling was that unless clients are also hosting the copyright content then they are not in breach of copyright and so how did the MPA manage to push their agenda for Chinese-style Internet censorship via British courts?

2. Phil W

I'm slightly puzzled over the downloads4all part of this, since that site provides a variety of download links some copyright infringing and some not.

Movies2k however exists solely to provide links to infringing material so that's no surprise.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I too do not understand what UK law was broken for these sites to be blocked, correct me if I am wrong but it seems that

1. The blocked sites only provide links to content residing upon third party streaming sites

2. Any UK client would not be hosting said content, at the worst they could only be seen as viewing a broadcast for which they do not have the content creators permission.

In any case where these sites were deemed to have broken any UK law then surely Google and all the other search engines should also be blocked by the same rule, or am I missing something?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon