back to article Dell's server, net bizzes do well, but PCs slammed as expected

If Michael Dell and his partners had hoped to turn in a bad quarter to help justify the relatively low price the Dell & Friends consortium wants to pay to take the IT giant private, Dell's sales force in the enterprise server, networking, and services units did not do their part to help. The PC business did – but not as much as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

storage down 10%

thats 'coz they gettin bounc'd by nimble... yo!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not sure I follow

The Reg is often saying that the PC is dead but I'm not sure that's true. People used to buy PCs more frequently because the latest and greatest OS or software needed the extra power. We now seem to be in a period where that's no longer true so people are happy to stick with the PC/laptop they've got. Friends and family certainly seem to have that opinion too, well they say they are happy with what they've got and won't buy again until it's broken.

Those with a bit of spare cash and an eye for fashion buy slabs and smart phones (the latter includes me) and are probably using money that would previously have gone on PCs. However, many seem to lose interest in their shiny new toys quite quickly or end up using them for things a feature phone could do. Either way I can't see the PC dying soon.

1. Tom 13

Re: Not sure I follow

Agree with your conclusions. I wouldn't say it's El Reg making the claim, more that they are reporting that others are making the claim. And if the company is headquartered in the US, that's going to be the case in a maturing market. The guys doing the trading on the exchanges mostly look to company growth to establish what's hot and what's not. If you're an old but profitable company in a mature market you typically fall into the Not category. If the markets were largely driven by reality, that would be an opportunity to make a tidy profit by buying against conventional wisdom on the old companies. But it seems to me that one of the unintended consequences of retirement account money market funds is that the emotional buyers who follow the what's hot and what's not memes are swamping the real market with their trading sprees.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like