back to article Twitter signs ad deal with Starcom

Twitter is well on its way to becoming an advertising giant after signing one of its biggest deals so far with media agency Starcom MediaVest Group (SMG). The partnership, which could be worth hundreds of millions of dollars over several years, will give SMG clients like Microsoft and Coca-Cola preferred advertising slots on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

There some cool possibilities

(in a techy marketing way at least)

Like seeing what you're watching based on your hashtags and tailoring ads for stuff in the show or deemed likely to be of interest. Advertising tailored to you based on what you're doing RIGHT NOW is pretty powerful potentially.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: There some cool possibilities

JDX : Can you imagine that you are discussing things you don't like or the fact the certain colours make you feel queezy....

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: There some cool possibilities

I never said it was perfect, only that there are possibilities here. In theory clever software could detect things with some degree of usefulness, it doesn't have to be perfect.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Twitter is a non-essential service

If it becomes annoying, people will move on to the next fad.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Twatter

When you start getting more spamverts in your Twatter stream than actual messages from people you know, it's time to move on.

Twitter without the ads: http:// app.net

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It gets interesting when people start twitting in an uncomplimentary way about the products being advertised - presumably the marketeers (a word which always makes me think "mickey mouse") would use this as 'market intelligence' which they can sell to both the original advertiser and their competitors.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

"...It gets interesting when people start twitting in an uncomplimentary way about the products being advertised..."

I tried that for a while. Every time I got a Sponsored Tweet spamvert in my Twatter stream I'd reply to the company [with appropriate hashtags for emphasis] asking if they'd fixed the issues with poison ingredients / spontaneous combustion / fatal accidents... etc etc. In the end though, it was just less hassle to piss off somewhere uncontaminated with spamverts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like