back to article Alibaba comes again with Android-unfriendly mobile OS

Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group has unveiled a new plan to reinvigorate its home-grown mobile operating system (AMOS) after a high profile fall-out with Google last year effectively prevented the world’s major handset makers from partnering on the OS. The cloud-based AMOS, formerly known as Aliyun OS, hit the ropes last …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pen-y-gors

Interesting approach

Instead it will make available “shopping and payment records” from its e-commerce sites to help check customer solvency.

Data Protection - we've heard of it!

2. MacGyver
    Facepalm

That's a real site?

I have seen that site pop up for everything I have ever searched for, and assumed that it was one of those "throw back whatever your search was" sites. If they took Paypal I might even try buying something from them, but I think someone needs to explain to them that the reason "Alibaba.com" was available, was the the very next thing a westerner thinks of after saying that word is "..and the forty thieves." , not really a site name that instills trust and confidence. Enter credit-card info here, um, I don't think so.

It's a rip of Android that can't use the Play store from a site named after a group of thieves, yeh that's going to do great. /sarcasm

1. Thecowking

Re: That's a real site?

So you've not actually read the story then?

Ali Baba is not the thief nor even affiliated with them. Opposed would be a more accurate description.

That's like saying that since you associate cops with robbers, calling a site "cops.com" would imply it's run by criminals.

1. MacGyver
        Trollface

He didn't take their money, he only told others where it was at and how to access it. Then covered up a murder.

And they want my credit-card, no thank you.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"[...] calling a site "cops.com" would imply it's run by criminals."

Unfortunately, many cynical people would assert that very thing - of late, at least over here, the police are not maintaining a very clean reputation.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

I always find it interesting how any comments on El Reg that are derogatory in any manner to the Middle Kingdom get downvoted straight away, while those the opposite get upvoted consistently, it seems like the Wu Mao Dang is representin' on here in full effect. Seriously if you don't believe me, just start paying attention to it.

DaGe, because he's watching at all times.

1. Eddy Ito
        WTF?

"I always find it interesting how any comments on El Reg that are derogatory in any manner to the Middle Kingdom get downvoted straight away, while those the opposite get upvoted consistently"

Seriously murph? As of now the guy is looking at one whole downvote so to call your comment a little over the top is an understatement. As to how he has come this far on El Reg without hearing about alibaba or Jack Ma it's beyond me but then I've been shopping there since at least 2005.

1. MacGyver
          Holmes

Let me clarify. I have seen Alibaba.com popping up in every search result for about 10 years too, a little too many search results in fact. That was the issue, they look just like a scam/spam site to someone that doesn't know they are a real site (like me). You can type in flux capacitor into Google and it will come back with 11,800 hits from Alibaba.com. Now you tell me, how can any real site have 11,800 different products about an object that doesn't exist in the first place?

I wasn't trying to make a derogatory comment about anyone, I was truly surprised that the site was real, and attempted to explain that surprise. (I'm an American, and so no, I hadn't read the story. My only exposure to the name Alibaba was the Beastie Boys repeating it over and over, followed by the words "and the forty thieves". So I'm going site ignorance as my excuse there.) I'm still not giving them my credit-card.

3. Mips
      Childcatcher

I can understand the Chinese governments position since Google turned from good guy to bad guy but Alibaba is another proposition. China is a "me to" country. If there is one firm producing something then soon after there are tens or even thousands with identical looking devices but with wholly different properties. Here is the problem: like these mobes these products start to appear through Alibaba but are offered with insufficient information. Do they all do the same job? Probably not. So the Alibaba (of the forty thieves) name might be appropriate.

As said, Alibaba is huge: I was looking for information about the 5050 LED chip. Google took me to Alibaba and to a firm in Shenzhen with a capacity of 1000000000 per day, yes, 1bn per day. I do not think they would be interested in an order for 50 and I would not get the unit price quoted. So they don't take PayPal? So what? I have come to the conclusion that Alibaba whilst is interesting it not for the average punter.

Then there is the other issue: information. Putting it this way if you wanted car tyres: size 215/50/16, there would be plenty, but that is all the information you would get. Manufacturer, speed and load rating, performance rating all missing and they will not provide it. I would suggest extreme cautions when doing business with firms like this. Alibaba are not alone because a lot of technology offered on eBay comes from China and you have the same problem.

Am I ranting? Yes, but then I have good reason.

3. frank ly
    Happy

There's always a way

"Finding a major handset maker which isn’t signed up to OHA (in China or elsewhere around the world) is virtually impossible, ..."

They should have asked Apple to help.

4. Whitter
    Meh

personal vs business shopping

Am I the only one that uses -alibaba in almost all searches when shopping?

5. Kubla Cant

Open source

because AMOS uses “the Android runtime, framework and tools” but is not technically compatible with Android, Alibaba shouldn’t be allowed to partner with Open Handset Alliance members

Nice to see how enthusiastically Google supports the open-source philosophy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like